Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: AQ vs Pre Flop Raise

[ QUOTE ]
Hello

In this hand I have less than 20 hands on CO. He seems to be a solid player. My concern is facing the LP raise. Generally I would fold AQo to a raise but my thinking was that he would loosen up his raising standards in a steal position. Who else would reraise this. Is there any point I can get away from this post flop?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet this EVERY time preflop given the circumstances. If the CO is a TAG, he could be raising with a hand as weak as KJo. If he is a moron, AQ is probably ahead of whatever junk he has. Either way, it means 3-bet to me. The only hands I really don't want to see are AA-QQ, AK and AQs. If he has one of those, good for him.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Good play with the correct reasoning pre-flop. The only questionable part of the hand is the turn: do we give our opponent a free card, or do we bet with the risk of getting check/raised? I lean towards betting...the play by the villain smells like QQ/KK to me rather than AA/AK. If we get check/raised again, that sucks, but I don't think that happens to often.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:29 PM

Is there any merit to 3-betting the flop, or is that a bad idea? If bad, why?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good play with the correct reasoning pre-flop. The only questionable part of the hand is the turn: do we give our opponent a free card, or do we bet with the risk of getting check/raised? I lean towards betting...the play by the villain smells like QQ/KK to me rather than AA/AK. If we get check/raised again, that sucks, but I don't think that happens to often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The c/r on the flop could easily be an attempt to slow hero down.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:30 PM

i don't see anything less than an ace paying off a river raise.

what hands do you put him on after check/raising the flop and then checking the turn?

and yeah, i think i bet the turn.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if so, is he paying off a river raise?

why not bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a turn-raise would be a world of pain? I wouldn't all be sure that I am ahead here, but I'd want to see a showdown with this hand, and check-calling seems like the cheapest way to do it.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:32 PM

then you wouldn't want to raise the river.

that's fine.

my point was... if you're inclined to raise the river... why not raise the turn? he'll call down, but he MIGHT fold to a river raise here.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any merit to 3-betting the flop, or is that a bad idea? If bad, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. Villain could easily have A-rag and think it is good. When I have what I think is the best hand, I want to keep control and not slow down. If he caps, then I back off.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what hands do you put him on after check/raising the flop and then checking the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ace-rag looking for a cheap showdown.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 PM

besides, even if you're wrong, and you GET check/raised... you're setting yourself up for that elusive trifecta on the river... and while it's much cooler to trifecta your opponent... there's at least a little glory to be found in getting pwned like that, no?