Default Re: my wrist hurts like a motherf***

[ QUOTE ]
the answer to all your problems:

clicky clicky

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm boobies
Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 PM

that mouse pad is an ergonomic injury waiting to happen.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 PM

which wrist? both?
if it's only one and it's your mousing wrist, try switching hands for a while. also, try switching your mouse to a larger one instead of that crappy standard one that comes with most computers.
when you're mousing, try to move the device with your arm rather than just your fingers/hand/wrist. let the larger muscle groups absorb the stress rather than the smaller, more delicate structures.

is your keyboard propped up (positive tilt)? if so, try flattening it or even having it tilt away from you. This allows your hands to approach the keyboard at a neutral angle.

above all else, take frequent breaks from working (every twenty minutes or so), and do wrist stretches (flexion, extension, etc). pop some advil to control the pain and swelling.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which wrist? both?
if it's only one and it's your mousing wrist, try switching hands for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

my mousing wrist only.. that's what I'm doing right now

[ QUOTE ]
also, try switching your mouse to a larger one instead of that crappy standard one that comes with most computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

crap, those ginormous ones are like $50
[ QUOTE ]
when you're mousing, try to move the device with your arm rather than just your fingers/hand/wrist. let the larger muscle groups absorb the stress rather than the smaller, more delicate structures.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough[ QUOTE ]

is your keyboard propped up (positive tilt)? if so, try flattening it or even having it tilt away from you. This allows your hands to approach the keyboard at a neutral angle.

[/ QUOTE ] It's flat on my desk

[ QUOTE ]

above all else, take frequent breaks from working (every twenty minutes or so), and do wrist stretches (flexion, extension, etc). pop some advil to control the pain and swelling.

[/ QUOTE ]

My usual 4 hour poker sessions no good then.. ugh. I wish I had some advil
Old 02-16-2005, 04:30 PM

They're not breaks in the traditional sense. just little micro breaks from constant typing/mousing. if you're multi-tabling for four hours straight, I think you would find enough times where you've folded every hand. You can do little stretches there. basic motive is to get blood flowing and stretch out the smaller muscles in your wrist.

in layman's terms, the carpal tunnel is a small hole in a wrist bone through which a ligament runs. the syndrome is when this ligament gets injured or inflammed and rubs agains the bone. because of where and what it is, the carpal tunnel components don't get much blood flow, so injuries there don't heal well or quickly. the changes in work posture help reduce the chances of injury and the breaks and stretches help increase the amount of blood flow.