Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Missed river bet?

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly do I go to war against? something that beats me? What do you put villain on that will "go to war" with me?

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about why he's betting into you. It's usually either 1 of 2 reasons: (A) He's a donk betting a draw or (B) he's got a made hand that he's hoping you'll raise (with high cards) to help him protect against the other two limpers.

On the flop if it's situation (A) then you're missing value by not making him pay to draw. If it's situation (B) then you're missing a value (and A LOT of bets) by not raising when he'd be playing back at you with a strong, but second best, hand.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:58 AM

Wow, everyone is killing you for this hand. I really don't think you played it bad.

I don't mind just calling the flop. The pot is kinda small, the board isn't threatening besides the flush draw out there. I like attempted to get more value in on the turn.

The turn is interesting, and it's not as straighforward as it seems. Yes, villain could have a huge range of hands, but we also have no read on him. If we 3-bet, getting capped would really suck because then we are surely behind unless this guy is an idiot. The only reason I don't have 3-betting is because we have 10 outs at the river, even so, it would still suck to be capped.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind just calling the flop. The pot is kinda small, the board isn't threatening besides the flush draw out there. I like attempted to get more value in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot, IMO, is not small when 4 players call a PFR. The 2-flush is plenty of reason to extract bets now.

Many times the action will get checked to you on the turn when the draw didn't come through - then we've missed bets by not raising the flop. Additionally letting players call one bet on the flop gives them a cheap opportunity to pick up the flush/straight draw on the turn and then see the river for 1BB in a pot where they're going to have correct odds.

I don't see any reason why Hero would pass on the dual-fold opportunity to both protect his hand and gain value from incorrect flop calls.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The pot, IMO, is not small when 4 players call a PFR. The 2-flush is plenty of reason to extract bets now.

Many times the action will get checked to you on the turn when the draw didn't come through - then we've missed bets by not raising the flop. Additionally letting players call one bet on the flop gives them a cheap opportunity to pick up the flush/straight draw on the turn and then see the river for 1BB in a pot where they're going to have correct odds.

I don't see any reason why Hero would pass on the dual-fold opportunity to both protect his hand and gain value from incorrect flop calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with everything you said. You bring up excellent points...I still don't think just calling is terrible, but yes, raising is better.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 PM

gotta raise flop. I dont know about turn 3-bet. Can a good poster explain this to me so I dont miss these with my sets?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly do I go to war against? something that beats me? What do you put villain on that will "go to war" with me?

[/ QUOTE ]
good question. keep asking things like these from hasty newbie posters.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:47 PM

He obviously has the best hand on the flop, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he can't get more money in by slowplaying and waiting to the turn. If my opponents were loose, I might raise and try to get them to call two bets. Try to avoid slowplaying in multiway pots.