Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Online 15-30 hand #118 - did I miss a river bet?

I don't terribly mind checking here, not because I expect to lose, but because I think it's a great card to induce a bluff from a hand like AJ or KJ or A9 a diamond draw. An exception might be if I've been making some El Diablo style check-raises with big, made hands, making my opponent too likely to check behind with a hand that he'd call with. But this is one of those opponent-dependent decisions that you probably give up a little bit of expectation on when you're megaplextabling.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't terribly mind checking here, not because I expect to lose, but because I think it's a great card to induce a bluff from a hand like AJ or KJ or A9 a diamond draw. An exception might be if I've been making some El Diablo style check-raises with big, made hands, making my opponent too likely to check behind with a hand that he'd call with. But this is one of those opponent-dependent decisions that you probably give up a little bit of expectation on when you're megaplextabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,

i rarely pull check raiese in huge pots after i have been the aggressor the whole way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Kenny
Old 07-10-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An exception might be if I've been making some El Diablo style check-raises with big, made hands

[/ QUOTE ]

i rarely pull check raiese in huge pots after i have been the aggressor the whole way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The proper term is screwplay. Kudos to JV for that one.

Main Entry: screw·play
Pronunciation: 'skrü-"plA
Function: noun
Etymology: from JV 2+2 poker postings of early 2000s
: a counterflow checkraise
Old 07-10-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Main Entry: screw·play
Pronunciation: 'skrü-"plA
Function: noun
Etymology: from JV 2+2 poker postings of early 2000s
: a counterflow checkraise

[/ QUOTE ]

may i have the permission to include this definition in my next book? title to be determined.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
may i have the permission to include this definition in my next book? title to be determined.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2004, 05:21 AM

No, I need to put it in print first.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:46 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yes, you missed a river bet
Old 07-10-2004, 04:22 PM

I say, bet the river. Curiosity over what you have is so strong for many players that they will often pay you off with hands that simply should have been mucked, pocket pairs and ace high included.

The fact that he cold called the preflop raise, speaks volumes about his play. Then, he makes no play whatsover at the pot during the hand. He's much more likely to hit the call button for the 5th time during the hand, than to click "bet" or "raise".

soda
Old 07-10-2004, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curiosity over what you have is so strong for many players that they will often pay you off with hands that simply should have been mucked, pocket pairs and ace high included.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's very interesting thought and observation. i have also notice some of the "curiosity call" behavior, best demonstrated in calling with nothing after getting check-raised on the turn. very strange.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:39 PM

yeah, it's weird. I just had a board of K9463 generally rainbow. I was BB with KT, UTG raised my flop bet and button called. I C/R them both on the turn. A bit overaggressive, but I thought I might have the best hand and I knew the button was on a draw. Anyway, I almost checked the river, but I follow my own advice and bet it. First guy calls with K6, that's automatic, but the button OVERCALLED with 53o for a pair of rivered 3s. Had I checked this river, I'd be $60 lighter probably... but you never know with these clowns.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

soda