Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Harrington

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Hold'me:

We have stated before that this would not be appropriate for us to do.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]
WHat if it was done by us "non-partisan" posters, who have no stake in promoting any particular book, but are just out to make cliffs notes of sorts on what to read and why, to make things easier on everyone here? Would this not be kosher?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:16 PM

Hi Bartman:

If it's posted on this site as a sticky, then it is getting our endorsement and that's something I want to stay away from. On the other hand, if you want to create this and put it up as a post from you every now and then and clearly state that this is your opinion, I and the rest of Two Plus Two would have no problem.

You need to understand that part of the difficulty is that we have become very influential in how well poker books, whether ours or someone's else's do in terms of sales. So for example, if we were to do this sticky and a new author comes along with a pretty good book his sales would be damaged if we don't add it to our FAQ. But I would tell him that it can't be added to our FAQ until I get a chance to read it and that might not happen for at least 6 to 12 months. In addition, we open ourselves up to personal attacks from those authors whose books we don't include.

So the bottom line is that we feel it's best to just continue on as we are currently doing.

Best wishes,
Mason

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bartman:

If it's posted on this site as a sticky, then it is getting our endorsement and that's something I want to stay away from. On the other hand, if you want to create this and put it up as a post from you every now and then and clearly state that this is your opinion, I and the rest of Two Plus Two would have no problem.

You need to understand that part of the difficulty is that we have become very influential in how well poker books, whether ours or someone's else's do in terms of sales. So for example, if we were to do this sticky and a new author comes along with a pretty good book his sales would be damaged if we don't add it to our FAQ. But I would tell him that it can't be added to our FAQ until I get a chance to read it and that might not happen for at least 6 to 12 months. In addition, we open ourselves up to personal attacks from those authors whose books we don't include.

So the bottom line is that we feel it's best to just continue on as we are currently doing.

Best wishes,
Mason

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be a sticky to stop the whiners who constantly post telling people to use the search function.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 AM

understandable, I can see why a sticky would not be the best avenue.

Maybe some of us posters should get together and make one, but just try and keep it bumped regularly.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:16 AM

Mason,

I would have the exact same concerns if I were you. I think this can be avoided though. I suggest making an faq sticky that links to threads that discuss certain books. This way, no particular book would be endorsed, but new posters would have easy access to the current discussion surrounding poker titles, and authors.

Best regards,
Snowball
Old 08-12-2005, 03:53 AM

that still contains the problem of new books being added to the list, the new books would still have to wait, like Mason brought up, until meaningful discussion was started and finished and then decided whether it was good enough to be linked via the FAQ.

The only way they would possibly be absolved by you suggestion would be if the FAQ was simply linking to the discussions and in no way giving any opinion or comment about the books, but an FAQ like that is is pointless. At that stage its just a crutch for people too lazy to even browse the forum nevermind use the search tool. And while I think an FAQ in some form is good, one like that would not slow down the same posts asking the same questions happening six times a week.