Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Revisiting the Retarded Jets Front Office Moves

[ QUOTE ]
i think the knock on brien is lack of leg strength. (not just for that game - but because throughout his career he has been very good from short range but not good from 40+. so hes basically an avg. kicker.
i just say give nugent two yrs and then see what you think of him. he was one of the greatest kickers in college football ever. you would not judge a rookie qb after 5 games (granted is not quite a valid comparison)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying Mike Nugent is horrible. I'm saying Mike Nugent didn't deserve a 2nd round pick.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Update me. Did they trade Jolley for Nugent or for the pick that got Nugent or what?

Oh and Nugent sucks. Stupid Buckeye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, they traded their first rounder for Jolley and drafted Nugent with their 2nd rounder. They also traded Santana Moss for Coles++++

Moss: 23/458, 2 TD
Coles: 22/256, 1 TD

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i am an idiot. you were definitely trashing jolley's numbers, not lauding them.

i'll go stick my head in the oven now.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Update me. Did they trade Jolley for Nugent or for the pick that got Nugent or what?

Oh and Nugent sucks. Stupid Buckeye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, they traded their first rounder for Jolley and drafted Nugent with their 2nd rounder. They also traded Santana Moss for Coles++++

Moss: 23/458, 2 TD
Coles: 22/256, 1 TD

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i am an idiot. you were definitely trashing jolley's numbers, not lauding them.

i'll go stick my head in the oven now.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, well, look at it this way: the other TE on the Jets, the one they didn't send a first round pick for, has 212 yards.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:12 AM

How did I not see this thread? Aren't you a Saints fan? You're calling the Jets FO retarded? Are you [censored] kidding me? I'm [censored] livid!

FWIW I don't think either of these moves were particularly good but there are other moves you're not highlighting.

Ty Law was a part of this offseason and he's playing great.
Kerry Rhodes looks like a solid draft pick.
Trading Moss for Coles was a good move, but we won't reap the benefits til we get a QB.

A decidely eh offseason, for sure. But not horrible. The Joelley thing was a combo of the Jets wanting a TE and the Jets not wanting to pay first round dollars for second round talent. Nugent was a reach, for sure, but I'm happy we got the guy I wanted in his spot coming back (Justin Miller) and I think Nugent will be fine. So, not great, not awful, and we aren't the Saints.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:17 AM

People are forgetting that not having Moss return punts has cost us multiple turovers by having this shmuck attempt to return them.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did I not see this thread? Aren't you a Saints fan? You're calling the Jets FO retarded? Are you [censored] kidding me? I'm [censored] livid!

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with anything?

[ QUOTE ]
Trading Moss for Coles was a good move, but we won't reap the benefits til we get a QB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were a straight up swap, sure. It wasn't. The Jets got raped on that deal. Remember how Washington didn't have a QB last year? Now they suddenly do! Oh wait, it's the same guy. Santana Moss is on pace for 1800 yards without a QB. funny that.

[ QUOTE ]
The Joelley thing was a combo of the Jets wanting a TE and the Jets not wanting to pay first round dollars for second round talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Jets traded away a first rounder for a second string tight-end? Gee, I think there are a few better uses for this.

But let's make one thing clear: drafting a kicker on the first day is absolutely retarded. No doubt about it. It makes no sense whatsoever. Look around the top kickers in the league - how many of them were drafted in the first day - or drafted at all? There's so much freely available kicker talent out there.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were a straight up swap, sure. It wasn't. The Jets got raped on that deal. Remember how Washington didn't have a QB last year? Now they suddenly do! Oh wait, it's the same guy. Santana Moss is on pace for 1800 yards without a QB. funny that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I think it was a straight swap. And the Jets got the better of it b/c Wash paid Coles much owed money before he left and the Jets renegotiated the contract they wanted to give him 2 years ago before he left....

And Brunnel had a knee thing last year that prevented him from pushing off, then he got benched. As for Brunell, I din't say a word about him. I have no idea what he has to do with anything.

Laverneus is the better all around WR and he'll play hurt which is something Santana never did. If you don't think that was a good trade for the Jets then you're just wrong.

As for Moss having 1800 yards without a TD, what are you talking about?

[ QUOTE ]

So the Jets traded away a first rounder for a second string tight-end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, they didn't get what they were expecting. This happens in the NFL, you know...Jonathan Sullivan? We wanted another TE for the new OC's 2 TE sets. Jolley was being ignored in Oakland, was young, and the FO felt he was better than any player we could get in our slot in the first. It all made sense then (to them), Jolley just hasn't performed...

I don't disagree with your stance on drafting kickers, never did, never said I did.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 AM

You're completely wrong about the Jolley move. It was about $$$. You get a very manageable contract for a TE who the Jets liked, and you don't have to pay the guaranteed first round salary. All the while, getting another second round pick in a very weird draft.

I can't quite argue with Nugent; but it's the guy they wanted.

Coles is a better receiver then Moss; Come on now.

You have some weird anti-jets bias. Where have you been the last 3 weeks with "look, see how much the Jets defense sucks without their best player Jason Ferguson?" Did you notice Dewayne Robertson all over the field last week? Or James Reed stuffing the run two weeks ago?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 AM

I think people are missing the fact that the Jets traded a late 1st round pick for Jolley AND a middle 2nd round pick.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 PM

Hey Matty,

Do you remember a couple of years ago whenever Bradway did anything we were screaming bloody murder? Man, those were the days. Its amazing how one good draft turns everything around....

brett