Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: is THIS when you overbet the pot??

[ QUOTE ]
Overbetting doesn't signal a bluff. It signals I have no idea what I'm doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That too. And it wouldn't be a bad thing to give the table that impression, no? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 08:36 PM

True, but you don't want to be read for laggy big stack. You want to be read for LP fish.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, but you don't want to be read for laggy big stack. You want to be read for LP fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'd love being thought of as ANY kind of big stack. As long as it's REEEEEEEEly big. Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:44 PM

So your tactic was mainly to confuse your opponent and get him to call you with an inferior hand? Hmm...seems to me that almost 100% of the time that he's calling, it is with a better hand. The times he doesn't have a better hand, you are quite a bit to significantly ahead and can extract more value instead of pushing.

I'm not sure what to say about the weird overbet you made on the flop then the call. It looks like you feel you're quite ahead and trying to extract more chips. So perhaps I'd chk/raise but not too much on the turn as if you're plan has worked, he'll be sufficiently confused to call again....maybe even looking for his flush. But since he wasn't the guy who went allin pre-flop with 89s, then maybe you can simply call the turn bet and bet or call the river for value.

Also, isn't bottom two pair vulnerable to multiple hands? HU here I don't see how he generally would have many outs vs. you...if he's behind. Seems like a great opportunity to play some poker.

Luminous
Old 06-17-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, isn't bottom two pair vulnerable to multiple hands? HU here I don't see how he generally would have many outs vs. you...if he's behind. Seems like a great opportunity to play some poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have him on an overpair he may take my massive overbet as a desperate flush draw, or the idiot who doesn't know how to bet and overvalues TpTk. Plus, I don't mind a fold here as I've probably been burned by bottom two too many times... stupid virtual dealers, out to get me... but I'll talk to my shrink about THOSE issues... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your pushing the guy off the hand when you could have milked some more value of it. Betting 1/2 to full pot is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Maybe not more than full pot. But you still have to reraise after he miniraises you. Pots big enough to take it down right there, because if scare cards start coming up, what do you do.