Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Divorce/Separation/Postnup

Divorce sucks especially when there are kids involved. I got divorced in New York and I got totally screwed. But that's not important.

What is important is what is best for my son. By staying in a disfunctional relationship I was teaching him that it is ok to fight constantly and to allow myself to be abused and disrespected.

I chose to show my son a better way and I hope that I can teach him better relationship skills than I had and can avoid a lot of the mistakes and bad choices I made. Whatever you decide good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Divorce/Separation/Postnup

Good post Bluffoon.

Whether you stay together for your son or get divorced there are always tough consequences. I chose to get a divorce from my spouse who was very bipolar and quite disfunctional. It got to be overwhelming for me and our entire life was one drama after another. It got where I couldn't envision living out the rest of my life like that. (He also did a brief stint in the hospital and was on and off meds.)

Seven years later my oldest son told me how badly it hurt him that I did that. There were no words to describe my guilt over his anguish. Still I have to agree with Bluffoon. What would it have accomplished to stay in a relationship where all we did was argue and yell at each other? It is an unhealed wound. In the end I couldn't handle the bipolar problems. It may sound selfish but you really do deserve a loving woman who will treat you with affection and respect. Follow your heart.