Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Move to $1/2 level ?

[ QUOTE ]
Players reraised me with 24o and rivered out my flopped sets, top pairs lost to runner, runner two bottom pairs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If are bankrolled and these are the kind of folks that you encounter at 1/2, then you should run, not walk, to 1/2.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:34 PM

I think $1 $2 full can be tough if you are not running well. Most pots are 2 or 3 handed and you often have to make a decent hand to get the dough. Also if you get cold-decked and suffer a load of beats it is hard to fight back. The classical situation where you only get action if you are about to suckout, whilst your flop bet with aces full meets with 4 folds. I have grown ever frustrated with $1 $2 full because of this.

I played 5K hands at full for a .87BB/100 loss as my intro back into limit and fought back after 8k hands to 1.9BB/100 profit. After a horrid 1 hour session where I dropped 80BB 4 tabling where every hand seemed to get hit my miracle river outs I moved back to 6 Max where I had 4k hands previously.

This is where I would advise any decent player wanting to play $1 $2 to go. At Party all of the loose 70%+ VP$IP who are missing from $1 $2 full ring are to be found at 6 Max. The beats are still horrible as they chase everything but you will very often get called down with king, queen or even jack high. Most players on there would not dream of folding a monster hand like bottom pair! As long as you remember not to bluff players who will not fold basic ABC poker will win the day. There are plenty of maniacs who may be high varience to take on but will pump a pot for you when you have a monster hand to play.

The main thing that 6 Max gives me personally that full-ring does not is the abilty to come back. There was no good way back from my 80BB loss on Saturday at full ring so I moved to 6 Max. Despite losing another 30BB quite quickly and having numerous other bad beats (I flopped a set of Aces twice and kings once and lost all 3 to gutshots) I was able to recover to a 5BB loss for the day and I was happy.

$1 $2 6 Max on Party is as soft as limit poker gets and although you can still hit a huge slider if the cards go against you the play is so terrible that any half decent player should be beating it. The blinds coming around so fast does make it more high varience than full-ring but the play is significantly worse and it is more fun to play. Betting on the river for value with Ace high is a great feeling!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Re: Move to any level ?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I discovered that the players are NOT that much better..., they're just <something>. You can beat them, you just have to adjust your game. And yes, plug your leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is correct, and one of the best FYPs I've ever seen.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I discovered that the players are NOT that much better..., they're just <something>. You can beat them, you just have to adjust your game. And yes, plug your leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can live with that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was like you guys and basically skipped 1/2. 2/4 is a better game. I STILL have problems in 1/2 at Party and I play MOSTLY 3/6 now.

1/2 is a tough place because you have good players (sort of) that are willing to gamble. The quality os 1/2 is just plan better - it's where real poker is starting to be played.

One thing you have to do is ALWAYS think in terms of big bets - not dollars. That will take some sticker shock away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering if most people think that 2/4 party is better than 1/2. I have been winning fairly consistently at 1/2 over the past month and a half (I know this is a short amount of time) and was considering adding one 2/4 to my multitabling (usually 3).
Old 11-08-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was like you guys and basically skipped 1/2. 2/4 is a better game. I STILL have problems in 1/2 at Party and I play MOSTLY 3/6 now.

1/2 is a tough place because you have good players (sort of) that are willing to gamble. The quality os 1/2 is just plan better - it's where real poker is starting to be played.

One thing you have to do is ALWAYS think in terms of big bets - not dollars. That will take some sticker shock away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am wondering if most people think that 2/4 party is better than 1/2. I have been winning fairly consistently at 1/2 over the past month and a half (I know this is a short amount of time) and was considering adding one 2/4 to my multitabling (usually 3).

[/ QUOTE ]

its a better game if you can beat both

but if you can't beat 1/2, you won't beat 2/4
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can live with that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

fyi it wasn't meant as a correction to your post...

just musing that it's always the same... .5/1 to 1/2, 1/2 to 2/4 3/6 to 5/10 ... etc
Old 11-08-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its a better game if you can beat both

but if you can't beat 1/2, you won't beat 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

If I beat .01/.02 one day, I'm probably ready though right? It definitely is a good point though. Sometimes people think that if they can get to a level where people will "respect" their raises or other plays they can finally win.

How different is the play at that level on Party? Are players much better, tighter, looser, aggressive? Are there about the same number of players to the flop or more hands HU? Sorry for all the questions, but I just like to get a feel for a higher level before I try it.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:47 PM

Similar story. I was at 3.5BB/100 after 20K at .50/1. After 30K at 1/2 I'm down 250BB. I win the small pots and lose the big ones. All my stats are excellent, except winrate. They call with any pair, any draw, or any ace, then raise on the river when they hit. I get rivered so often that I've stopped betting the river to save having to decide between calling a raise or folding. If I'm holding pocket kings against four opponents and an ace comes on the flop, the most profitable action is to open fold and then make a side bet on which of the fish paired his rag kicker, because at least two of them have an ace.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After 30K at 1/2 I'm down 250BB. I win the small pots and lose the big ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems very stretchy to consider this to be substantially due to variance.