Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Taking a quarter off from school question....

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. They aren't going to be checking on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]I think they check every year, or atleast at the start of the typical school year.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't take next quarter off. People who take time off from school. They don't go back. Just tough it out and finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finishing would take another 2 years plus 1-2 quarters more. So its not like a quarter off would really make that much of a difference in my desire to finish.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:17 PM

You'll be able to pay a COBRA premium to keep your coverage. It will be big.

scrub
Old 12-07-2004, 10:23 PM

Ok, I work in the insurance industry but I deal with death and disability claims, rather than health claims. So... I can give you what I think happens:

I think they may only do random checks when you actually submit claims. If you had no office visits during the last year, they likely didn't do any checking. When you submit an actual claim, that is where the eligibility factors come in. An analyst actually has to process the claim, and during the routine processes of paying the claim, he/she would see that you are a dependent. They would determine that you are over the limiting age for dependent coverage (usually 18 or 19) and then, would determine whether or not they need to verify you are a full time student.

I am assuming you are over that limiting age, that is very important, otherwise it does not matter if you are enrolled or not.

I can tell you that by taking one quarter off, and if you are over that limiting age, you very likely are no longer qualified as a dependent, because you are not enrolled in college. Period.

If I were you, I'd look closer into this, and how easy it is to get back on the plan, if you take three months off. You could be starting a whole mess of trouble by doing this. You definitely don't want to be scheduling this elbow surgery or the wisdom teeth procedure during this three month span. Trust me on that.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to help you out.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:30 PM

Just take enough credits to continue to count as a full time student (look at the fine print of the insurance deal and it will explain the requirement).

You don't need to have 18. At some places, 8 counts as full time.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:15 AM

College Dropout. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'm 26, every one of my friends who took time off have yet to return and are pretty much lost now.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I work in the insurance industry but I deal with death and disability claims, rather than health claims. So... I can give you what I think happens:

I think they may only do random checks when you actually submit claims. If you had no office visits during the last year, they likely didn't do any checking. When you submit an actual claim, that is where the eligibility factors come in. An analyst actually has to process the claim, and during the routine processes of paying the claim, he/she would see that you are a dependent. They would determine that you are over the limiting age for dependent coverage (usually 18 or 19) and then, would determine whether or not they need to verify you are a full time student.

I am assuming you are over that limiting age, that is very important, otherwise it does not matter if you are enrolled or not.

I can tell you that by taking one quarter off, and if you are over that limiting age, you very likely are no longer qualified as a dependent, because you are not enrolled in college. Period.

If I were you, I'd look closer into this, and how easy it is to get back on the plan, if you take three months off. You could be starting a whole mess of trouble by doing this. You definitely don't want to be scheduling this elbow surgery or the wisdom teeth procedure during this three month span. Trust me on that.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah [censored] that [censored]. well looks like i'll be in school next quarter!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just take enough credits to continue to count as a full time student (look at the fine print of the insurance deal and it will explain the requirement).

You don't need to have 18. At some places, 8 counts as full time.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 01:28 AM

I had my parents' insurance in college. I finished classes in March and went to the dentist for a routine visit in September on the same insurance and it was paid without a problem.

However, I echo the comments of others and say check with the insurance company. Had I been in a major medical emergency, I assume the insurance company would've done an eligibility check and I would've been screwed.