Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: BROKE AGAIN

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even Ken Warren's book helped my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow....you must have been the worst player known to man.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken Warren's book was the first poker book I ever read. I chose it becuase it had the most money on the cover out of all the books on the shelf. I distinctly remember passing over a couple ugly books with relolvers on the cover or some crap.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Ken Warren's book was the first poker book I ever read. I chose it becuase it had the most money on the cover out of all the books on the shelf. I distinctly remember passing over a couple ugly books with relolvers on the cover or some crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL...mmmm money.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i havent fully read Theory of Poker cuz i dont think it would help my sit n go game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 10:08 PM

i actually have stats on my play. in the past 50 sit n go game i have played my roi is .06 but i also play other games like tourny buy ins. thats not too many hands but its enuf to make me go broke..
Old 05-04-2005, 10:31 PM

What is your NL game like? Before I started Sng's my NL game was very good already and I jumped in to sng's with immediate results. I am wondering if you are jumping in to sng NL games without much experience or maybe you are playing too loose in rounds 1-3?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 PM

yah i started off only about 9 months ago playing nl ring games and sit n gos. but i decided that i liked sit n gos better. just recently i started tracking my result which arent that great. but my ring games arent too good ive played all the low limits from 10c-2$NL prolly only have made out in the 25c and lower games. maybe i just had a bad run. i dont get too much time to play poker. but the next games i play i will post my hands to see if im playing them good.. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Warren's book got me thinking about poker, rather than just playing robotically, because it was so bad that i needed to justify why what he said was wrong. Three things he said got me thinking.

1) something like "I'd rather play AK than AA because I lose less with it." Yeah, you know, I need to not go broke every single time I get a good starting hand and it totally misses. Although I'd rather play AA than AK because it's a better hand, there's some value in being able to lay it down.

2) "Cards can and do run in cycles. The theory of large numbers proves it." Total BS, but there's value in not being known as a high-card only player, especially in a ring game against the same players for ten hours.

3) His chart "Hand Rankings Based on Earning Power" Realize why this is totally subjective and useless without an extensive discussion on how it was generated, which of course he doesn't give. His explaination would probably be a load of BS anyway, but it made me think that any system that claims to "rank" starting hands is highly subjective and assumes a lot about your opponents.

FWIW I was actually the worst poker player known to man for a month or so after I read that book and that jerk owes me the $400 I lost because of it. Then I burned his book.

Slim
Old 05-06-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been playing for 9 months now and have gone broke alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I wouldn't deposit another dollar until I could consistantly beat the play tables.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:17 PM

There's Dan Harrington's book, too, and Sklansky's Tournament Hold'em book. And that great link collection from the shadow -- have you read that?

Part of why you're losing is the horrible rake at 5+1's. That's going to cut a reasonable ROI down by half or a third. I moved from being a loser at the 5's to a winner at the 10's just from the difference in rake alone.

How many games have you played? It's hard to know what a two-week slump means if we have no idea how many games you play per week. Heck, maybe Raptor plays more per day!

Are you multi-tabling or single tabling?

I think the best thing you could do is post hands and ask for analysis.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive been playing for 9 months now and have gone broke alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I wouldn't deposit another dollar until I could consistantly beat the play tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think even playing for a nickel totally transforms the way poker is played, so free games don't help much besides learning comfort with the rules and timing and things like that. People will play a lot harder and smarter for a penny than they will play for a billion dollars of play money. I've played play money before and won gigantic amounts of money quickly, only to get crushed at the tiniest levels of real money poker.

I think your suggestion is a good effort to helpful, but I don't think you can get around how totally unlike regular play the games are when you're only playing for play money.