Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Soft Play

I hate her with a passion. C.unt
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 AM

It's neat that you posted this just to bump your own rant. Like, you just wanted to say "P.S. I'm really REALLY bitter, not to be confused with 'really bitter'."

Were you drinking the WHOLE time from 9:45-12:30?
-Sam
Old 07-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Me no, it just strikes me that my buddy hooked up with this trashy unpersonable chick who has no clue what she is doing got lucky and got heads up with me and he had to cheat so this trashy chick could win money. She said she needed it, if she needed the money why the hell is she gambling. I am gunning for her ass next time.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:04 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice.
Just as a quick update I went for a beer with my buddy and mentioned again about their play.
I think that since time has past he understands now how their actions were wrong.
We also agreed that the fact that they are a couple their play, like that of all other couples at the game, would be scrutinized more than just two random players in the pot and therefore it is important that every hand that is played is played fair regardless of who is in the pot.

I am guessing that the next tourney will be interesting with all couples actually gunning for their significant others to prove that they don’t soft play :-)

Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:04 AM

This is more of a rant or warning than seeking advice so reader beware :-)

I am continuing this post because it sadly involves the same couple but I should change the name to "Home games and the dangers of losing friends" or "Home Games and cheating"

As you can see from my original and last post I had a problem with a couple soft playing each other when they both hit trips on the flop, but after a discussion I thought the problem was gone.

I was obviously wrong!
We had a game the other night when this hand came up.

Player "A" the wife bet 3xBB PF everyone folded and Player "B" the husband called.

The flop was TcQc2d . Player "A" bets the pot and "B" calls. The turn is 5d. and here is where it gets interesting:
Player "A" bets a little more than 1/2 the pot and stares at her husband. He looks at his cards and folds. At that time a player sitting beside the husband yells: "That is F... Bull..." and reaches into the muck and flips over the husbands cards.
He had Pocket Aces when another player turned over the wife’s cards she had tripped her tens.
Well to say that at age 38 I never thought I would have to break up a fight in my house is an understatement. Needless to say that was the end of that tourney as most people were disgusted by everything that was happening.

I later asked the player that flipped over the Aces how he knew? And he told me that he had noticed the wife signing her husband to lay it down and when the husband picked up his cards he was able to angle shoot enough to see the aces.

What they were doing was using the chips to cap their cards to give the approximated value of there hand. The bigger the cap card the better the hand. My friend noticed that when the flop hit the wife dove into her stake and changed her cap card, and when the stare down she kept going from her husbands eyes to her cap card. As to say “Look at my chip, I have a big hand”
(You have to remember that none of us are pros so her moves weren’t that subtle)

Well that is it.
Thanks for the read and again be careful if you are the host or a regular in these “Fun Couples Tourneys” it seems the fun can transform into stupidity very easily. I play a few regular poker games with many of the same guys and we never had these problems but mix in the couples and all hell breaks lose.

Good Luck all.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:03 AM

wow! that is big time. You know, reading stuff like this makes me glad we treat our $20 (sometimes $25), 3 table tourneys saeriously. We have printed rules available. I love how people say "oh, it's not really much money!" It's $1200. I realize I don't live in one of these insanely expensive places to live, but that's two mortgage payments for me. People will be tempted.