Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted

[ QUOTE ]
Consider the following analogy. In Philosophy class, my professor would alwasy say that two types of people can stare at an unmoving object for hours on end: A genius can stare at a chair for hours wondering about its telos, God's purpose for it, and so on and so on. The only other person in the world you can do that is a complete moron, who can sit there and go, "Gee look its a chair!" for hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's safe to say that if you have to look at a chair for hours in order to contemplate its purpose, you are a complete moron.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted on?

Actually it wasn;t ESPN I ranted to--it was Gutshot Poker--which was the second interview I did. What Espn showed is pretty much what I said--It is going to be hard for anyone to win that tournament with that many players in it ;-) Gutshot is where I let my aggravation show. But we have already gone over that, right? ;-)

Annie
Old 08-26-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke - Care to give us some insight into the hand you busted on?

I was in the Big Blind with about about 25k in chips. First position opens for an underraise, sb calls, I call with KQ. I believe first position only raised a little over 2x's the big blind.

Board comes 654. SB checks. I check. First position agonizes for quite a while and checks. I read him for no pair.

Turn comes a 5. SB checks again. I now move in. First postion thinks and folds. SB thinks for a very long time and calls 25% of his stack with AQ.

I read the hand correctly for both guys having no pair. Moving in through the raiser makes my hand look much stronger. I still like the play but clearly the SB picked it off.

For whoever asked, the way I looked is standard Annie Duke look mid-hand.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it wasn;t ESPN I ranted to--it was Gutshot Poker--which was the second interview I did. What Espn showed is pretty much what I said--It is going to be hard for anyone to win that tournament with that many players in it ;-) Gutshot is where I let my aggravation show. But we have already gone over that, right? ;-)

Annie

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we have and I was one that slammed you rather hard when it happened. For that, I apologize as you have been very sincere in your apologies regarding that action. As a dedicated reader of this forum we are very lucky to have someone of your skill level and stature posting on these forums.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:03 AM

Default better question...

do you smoke weed before tournaments too?

rj
Old 08-26-2004, 05:18 AM

Default Re: better question...

That's a terrible question. You lied by calling it better.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Re: better question...

I have a question for Annie.

Have you found that your study of psycholinguistics has any application when playing poker?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For whoever asked, the way I looked is standard Annie Duke look mid-hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you were gracious enough to throw this answer back, let me ask you something relating to the situation.

I think it's great that you have a "standard Annie Duke look mid-hand", first off. But let me ask you this. On long contemplations by opponents, I find myself sometimes getting "stuck" in my look, meaning after a certain amount of time it becomes a matter of "do I move?", "away or at them?", "if I stay a statue will that translate to weakness to this guy?", "if I move now will that translate to weakness to this guy?".

It's easy to do when you're holding the nuts. Hmm, maybe I should just convince myself of that no matter what I'm holding and go from there.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pro's make great reads and have "lots of heart" where amatuers are clueless fish when questionable calls and folds and bets are concerned [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] At least on this board!

[/ QUOTE ]
if a "fish" calls every bet, he gonna catch some bluffs, doesnt mean he made a fantastic play. a pro may call only in certain spots and catch a bluff, which would make it more of a good/great play. thats the difference to me.