Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Hesitant to move up in Limits

Everyone that responded about how he's going to go broke are likely correct but, more accurately, lacking information to give educated advice.

Skitzo - The real question you need to ask yourself is: "Why are you playing poker and moving up so aggressively in the limits that you play at?".

If you go broke at $5/10 and are happy depositing another $25 and starting over then go for it. If you never want to deposit again then you should probably drop down to .5/1 or $1/2 where you will be able to sustain some losing sessions w/o losing your entire roll.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:48 PM

Well - the difference between 5/10 and 3/6 are not THAT great. Post flop the play is 1 player better MAYBE.

From what I have seen 5/10 are just 2/4 players with larger banks.

As for YOUR question. Sounds like you like to gamble and screw the long term. 250 you could play 2/4 for a while but still you are on the edge of ruin. Slow down.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:51 PM

I actually think he has a good strategy going for him provided that he uses the same screenname here that he does on Party.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think he has a good strategy going for him provided that he uses the same screenname here that he does on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha
Old 07-29-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well - the difference between 5/10 and 3/6 are not THAT great. Post flop the play is 1 player better MAYBE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:44 PM

If you go to 15/30 right now you won't get sucked out on as much.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-29-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone that responded about how he's going to go broke are likely correct but, more accurately, lacking information to give educated advice.

Skitzo - The real question you need to ask yourself is: "Why are you playing poker and moving up so aggressively in the limits that you play at?".

If you go broke at $5/10 and are happy depositing another $25 and starting over then go for it. If you never want to deposit again then you should probably drop down to .5/1 or $1/2 where you will be able to sustain some losing sessions w/o losing your entire roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crunchy,

Good advice. The OP may be doing his own version of the OIC, which many here have done (or are now doing). Basicaly, start with a small roll and see how far you can take it. If that is the case, then there is nothing wrong if he cotinues to run well/play well and can move up. On the other hand, if he is concerned with BR preservations he should probably move down at some point as he is clearly underrolled for 3/6 and 5/10.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:19 PM

let it ride!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A week ago I deposited $25 dollars and started playing .50-1. My goal was to play at each level until I reached 25BB to play at a higher level. I played $3-6 Yesterday and now I have $360. I have over 250 so I could play $5-10 limit but for some reason I am heistant. Is there a big difference between 3-6 and 5-10. Or should I just stick to 3-6??? or Cash out and start over again??

[/ QUOTE ]

Other people have more than adequately addressed the bankroll issue, so I'll focus on the differences between 3/6 and 5/10.

It isn't a lot of difference, as another poster said. I think that what you'll find as you continue your trek upwards is that on every level, there are some really bad players. The quality of the average player does not change very much, either, especially on 3/6 and above. The biggest difference at any new level is how good the good players are--and the good players at 5/10 are significantly better than the good players at 3/6, on average. But all of this is likely neither here nor there, because I doubt that you accumulated enough hands at 3/6 to really get a feeling for the nuances of that level, anyway.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM

No, do not move up in limits your bankroll isnt big enough yet. I would stay at 3/6. After you build your bankroll up a few thousand go for a higher limit.