Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: It will happen 2 you

[ QUOTE ]
In my second 400+BB downswing of this year. Nothing like 4 or 5 1000+ hand sessions of your W$SD being high 20's/low 30's to brighten up your day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Man, I love this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anywhere in PT where you can check your W$SD on a session by session basis?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my second 400+BB downswing of this year. Nothing like 4 or 5 1000+ hand sessions of your W$SD being high 20's/low 30's to brighten up your day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Man, I love this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anywhere in PT where you can check your W$SD on a session by session basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, either sort by day, or for a specific table session, go to sessions, highlight an idividual session by double-clicking on it, and then go back to the main page. You'll see only the stats for that highlighted session.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to session notes tab. Double click on the session at issue (it should come up bolded). Click back to General Info tab and it will show General Info for that session only. Go back and double click the session to "unbold" it and return the General Info tab to its normal display. Rinse and repeat as desired.

Edit: Obvious cross-post with Nigel.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:28 PM

Heh. I learned this the hard way thru the school of hard knocks. After playing poker consistently for about a whole year while never having a downswing over 150BB, this summer the downswings came and came and came and didn't seem to want to leave me...Looking back now, I was immensely lucky for playing as much as I did without having these terrible swings that people seem to have almost every month on this board. I now have played closed to 150k hands and understand variance--and swings--much more by having experienced both the positive and negative of it as opposed to before where I had only experienced the positive.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:01 PM

In the middle of a 45,000 break-even streak and am currently on vacation trying to get my head back together. It is eye-opening how many times the low% hand can overtake the high% hand on the river. It just seems like it happens over, and over, and over, and over. Can't hit a flush for [censored], then when I do, someone has a higher flush. Hell, I even lost like 10 boats the other day, wtf. Anyway, knowing that other players go through this sure helps, as, hopefully, does a 1-2 week vacation.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
um dar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the middle of a 45,000 break-even streak and am currently on vacation trying to get my head back together. It is eye-opening how many times the low% hand can overtake the high% hand on the river. It just seems like it happens over, and over, and over, and over. Can't hit a flush for [censored], then when I do, someone has a higher flush. Hell, I even lost like 10 boats the other day, wtf. Anyway, knowing that other players go through this sure helps, as, hopefully, does a 1-2 week vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the length of them that is really brutal. My first 400+ tanker this year was quick and deadly, but then over with, at one point 100 of the BB's of that one were lost in 100 hands so basically it was like ripping a band-aid off.

This current one is one long drowning, over 15K hands now and every time I start to crawl out, I have another one of these sessions where my W$SD is lower than I've ever seen it and I fall even deeper -- it's just impossible to not lose big. The other problem is that this one is at full ring (although I'm sure ~100BB's have been playing 2-4 handed) and comes on the heels of a long break-even stretch in the 30 last month. I have to say, going past 300BB's at supposed low variance full ring is an eye-opener. Never thought it would happen to me in games as soft as I've been sitting in lately.

So even though you've been through them before, they take on new characteristics that go deeper than just the BB number itself, and can reshake your confidence all-over again. Basically, it sucks. 45,000 hands must feel like a lifetime right about now, I hope things turn for you soon.

When you come back, try logging short, focused winning sessions to help rebuild your confidence. No shame in calling it a day early sometimes just to help your mood.

Good luck,

Nigel