Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I was kind of afraid of based on cruising around and checking out some places from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you tell us what kind of place you currently live in (square footage), and what you would expect for your 3K/month.

Keep in mind that in NYC the general rule is the average resident pays 25%-30% of their income on housing. So if you are clearing more than 144K/year (I would assume so, but I don't want to be that bold), you might want to consider paying more per month to find the ideal location.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frankly, if you can afford it, I would think about spending $4-5k, because then your options open up and you can start looking at places that you could actually consider "home". What you get for $4k+ is so much more than what you get for ~$3k and is in another world from what you get for ~$2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having just gone through the moving thing and looking into all kinds of stuff (including some of the above even though I had no intention of spending this much) I think the above is true.

You can get a pimp 1 br in a luxury bldg in most neighborhoods if you're willing to bump up your spend. 3K will get you a perfectly fine 1 br in a great neighborhood, but if you want to have the best options you need to spend a little more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think expecting to pay under 3K for a one-bedroom in a doorman building is perfectly reasonable with only very few exceptions.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think expecting to pay under 3K for a one-bedroom in a doorman building is perfectly reasonable with only very few exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but not a great doorman building.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For 3k/month, I hope you're buying.

Yeah the city is cool but I'd buy in Cobble Hill or the Slope right now. These places will not decrease in value.

As far as convenience, you're as close to your bars & restaurants in Brooklyn or some places in Queens as you are in the city. It takes me 25 minutes to get most places north of 21 and and only a little longer to get further. In my experience you'll spend that at least that long in transit from withing manhattan.

Plus it's nice in the boroughs, and it usually doesn't smell like garbage.

But for 3k, you can probably be very choosy about where you end up. That's a lot to pay, even in NYC (possibly not for a high-rolling 2+2'er).

bk

[/ QUOTE ]

This mans right, and buy instead of rent.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For 3k/month, I hope you're buying.

Yeah the city is cool but I'd buy in Cobble Hill or the Slope right now. These places will not decrease in value.

As far as convenience, you're as close to your bars & restaurants in Brooklyn or some places in Queens as you are in the city. It takes me 25 minutes to get most places north of 21 and and only a little longer to get further. In my experience you'll spend that at least that long in transit from withing manhattan.

Plus it's nice in the boroughs, and it usually doesn't smell like garbage.

But for 3k, you can probably be very choosy about where you end up. That's a lot to pay, even in NYC (possibly not for a high-rolling 2+2'er).

bk

[/ QUOTE ]

This mans right, and buy instead of rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, Mr. and Mr. Buy An Apartment. Let me ask you this. If my rent is going to be $3000, and I instead decide to buy, what price range should the apartment I'm buying be in>
Old 08-03-2005, 07:45 AM

Check out Union Square and Greenwich Village in the vicinity of 8th Street around University Place & Broadway. Union Square has become a very hip neighborhood with lots of good bars & restaurants and subway access to pretty much all of Manhattan. I'm a lifelong (and old) native NYer so PM me if you'd like more specifics.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 AM

I'm moving out of my place in January, I pay 3K/month rent. I live in the Hudson River (no joke, I really do... see Bunky's Bunkfest trip report for details) Its perfect if you want to own a car too, and pay lower taxes that NYC residents. 1,500 square feet, 2 bedrooms & a den for my computer.

PS: You can't buy anything good and expect to pay 3K a month in NYC, but thats a great range for a rental.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 PM

you can't move -

I was gonna come visit and borrow your place and say it was mine - LOL - (didn't they do that in a Martin Short film?) -
Where in God's green earth would you move to? - You already got the best view/spot in the city...

although Wayfare's was great too -

RB
Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love hanging out in the E Village, SoHo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Answered your own question
Old 08-03-2005, 08:59 AM

You can buy amazing apartments in Washington Heights overlooking the river and your mortgage will be considerably less than 3K a month.

If I could buy anything in NYC it'd be a brownstone in Harlem. Uptown is the sh!t.