Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Harrington this AA hand ITM? I\'m confused. Is stack big enough?

[ QUOTE ]
Now, Harrington says to minraise this again, then put the rest in on the flop. Is the stack big enough to do this or just push it? Pushing gives me a 33% boost if they fold, but doubling is always better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No disrespect to the Author, but this is a time when you have to get the "book move" out of your head and play the other players.

You have a monster hand late in the tournament on a medium stack with relatively large blinds. IMHO, there should be only one thing on your mind, and that is extracting full penalty from any player(s) who want to play.

IMHO, this decision lies upon what you think the rest of the players to your left are going to do. Is there a player to your left who may push if you call but fold if you push?

If so, then I'm thinking toward cold calling and trying to trap the initial raiser for more chips than he initially bargained for.

On the other hand, I would personally want no more than three people in this hand. So I have to assess the chances of getting more than one overcall. If I think there could be more than one, then I have to think about reraising.

I don't really like the push preflop, because you risk only getting the minimum yield from this strong holding, although it is a safe increase if everyone folds. But it depends on your assessment of the rest of the field.

As I'm gradually learning and becoming a strong believer in, for the most part the real money isn't made preflop, it is made on the flop and on the turn.

What I don't want is to force people into making the right decision. I want them to make at least one and hopefully two bad decisions which should get me as close to maximum yield for minimum risk on the hand.