Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: AK PP100NL, how\'d I do?

There's obviously a good chance you're beat here, but I call on the river. It's also pretty obvious that villian is on the donkey side of things considering his inability to calculate his stack size vs pot size on the turn. Other than that I think I push this turn unless you really think you'll fold if he pushes his remainder on the river. Always know what you're going to do ahead of time. I woudn't be suprised to see KT or something donkish here.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:45 PM

the PF bet, along with check/call and bet bet post-flop really smells like 99 or 77 though, from my [limited] .5/1NL experience.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 PM

right but remember this guy paid off with trips and a 9 kicker with his entire stack. Anytime you'll see a guy back his stack with top pair nine kicker against a good player, you can think they are on the donkey side of things....given that i'm worried that this particular donkey is holding something inane like K 9 again, but you never really know here. He could just as easily have had top pair on the flop and is still unimproved and is just hoping the overcard didn't help you....which you gave him no reason to think it did by just calling the turn.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the PF bet, along with check/call and bet bet post-flop really smells like 99 or 77 though, from my [limited] .5/1NL experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real possibility. Some of the other posts have done villain a bit of a disservice--he lost his stack with a set of kings to a well concealed full house. That fact alone does not put him in the donk category.

Villain raised preflop and called a reraise. He has a hand. I think we can assume that he would have stood out more to (even our TV watching) OP if he had been doing things like investing tons of money preflop with junk.

So credit the guy with a hand, and maybe he has a set or maybe he has KQ and we have him.

I like the way OP played this hand, except, yeah, a bigger preflop raise was in order.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:34 PM

My reason for the post was that I've been getting setted left and right the entire week, so I'm always careful not to run into sets from now on. However, I also realize that there is a fine line between playing TPTK carefully and playing scared money. I also realize that you're pretty much forced to call the river here because you only have to be right 25% of the time to come out positive, and the guy doesn't look like a rock.

As for losing all his chips with K9, I can see it as a possibility if the flop action was check-check and the board didn't contain a flush draw. At that point, I can see him getting carried away with trips, though that's not an indication of a complete donkey, I'm sure many of us are guilty of doing this. Just like if the Villain setted this guy's TPTK, he may think "My god, this guy lost all his chips with TPTK, what a moron".

My AKo and AQo have been losing money (though it could be variance, since my KK is also currently in the red), so I'm trying to see how to turn them profitable. They're slight dogs against any pair, although I think they're actually more profitable if you take post-flop play into consideration. Say if the 99 raised it up to $3, then the correct raise would be to raise it up to $10-$12. Now, if the flop misses both of your hands, most people will muck the 99 to your continuation bet, so you'll take down the pot 7.5 out of 8.5 times. So, you'll get around $75-$80 for all times he misses and lose $18-$20 for all times he makes it, plus you might occasionally go broke if both of you hit. I think if you make the PF raise big enough, all the times you steal will counteract all the times you go broke on the hand.

If anyone's willing to do the math, does AKo lose to a pocket pair in the long run with post-flop play? I know if they're both all-in it'll be a slight dog (possibly +EV with the blinds in the pot), but I mean if we assume post-flop play. From the looks of it, if AK takes control PF, it's possible to make it a +EV hand with the continuation bet.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM

From a sensible player, this smells like 99 or AK also. Raise more preflop and raise the turn to find out where you stand. Your call on the turn leaves you guessing the river.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM

I've been playing TPTK hands like this the same and getting my ever-loving butt-kicked. I'm thinking the turn is raise or fold. He knows you re-raised PF, a "scare card" came and he bet into you: would this be a good spot just to lay it down?

I know one of themes around here seems to be "fold TPTK in the face of resistance." Well how much does it take?

I'm losing money w/ all the "trouble hands" (a10o-AKo, KT-KQo, QTo, QJo) and it's rarely because I'm out-kicked.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing TPTK hands like this the same and getting my ever-loving butt-kicked. I'm thinking the turn is raise or fold. He knows you re-raised PF, a "scare card" came and he bet into you: would this be a good spot just to lay it down?

I know one of themes around here seems to be "fold TPTK in the face of resistance." Well how much does it take?

I'm losing money w/ all the "trouble hands" (a10o-AKo, KT-KQo, QTo, QJo) and it's rarely because I'm out-kicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest trouble hand this month is KK. I either win $3 or lose my stack. I am trying to figure out how to make an honest post describing my problem without it sounding like a bad beat post.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 PM

A couple of people have suggested raising the turn here. I think this is crazy. If you are ahead, villain has a pretty weak hand, and probably three outs. Raising (which will be all-in for villain basically) will just risk folding out all hands you beat, and you cannot justify the raise as "protection" against a three out suckout.

Options on the turn are strictly fold, or call down; calling down here is best I think.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 PM

I've got to side with McQuarrie on not raising the turn. You're not trying to make anyone fold, as there's no way you're going to get 2 pair or a set to fold. Unless you think the villain is loose enough to be playing an unlikely 68 or backdoored heart flush this way, you only get called by hands that beat you and only get folds from people who are drawing very slim (do you want KQ to fold?).

I think you either call the turn, fully aware that he's probably putting the rest in on the river and that you're going to call no matter what, or you fold the turn (which seems pretty weak considering this was the card you were waiting for in the first place).

My question would be, if you call the turn bet, and then he checks the river - do you put him in, or worry that he's trying to induce a bluff?

For what it's worth, I'm more worried about 2 pair in this case than the set (or at least I am when the 10 hits on the river). I don't think the set leads the turn, because that bet could easily scare away QQ or JJ. I think a set check-raises the turn, and tries to get more money in, pot-committing AK into calling all-in.