Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: A Lot of Fun Until Your Friends Find Out...

And here I was thinking this was a heads-up pot on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 AM

Yeah, that was me in the 8 seat. I don't much like the preflop call. I thought UTG was in line up to then. But once you get to the turn I think calling is easy. You just about always have 6 very clean outs.

EDIT: So you and TakeMeToTheRiver are related? I thought you looked familiar when I sat down. Also, any idea why the other regulars were playing O8 and not the 10 game or the 30 game when it goes?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice suckout?

[/ QUOTE ]

6 outs is hardly a suckout and the dealer will always slowplay a 3 on the flop. His hand is just about always a pair smaller than Ts.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice suckout?

[/ QUOTE ]

I draw good.

[/ QUOTE ]

He good draw card.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was me in the 8 seat. I don't much like the preflop call. I thought UTG was in line up to then. But once you get to the turn I think calling is easy. You just about always have 6 very clean outs.

EDIT: So you and TakeMeToTheRiver are related? I thought you looked familiar when I sat down. Also, any idea why the other regulars were playing O8 and not the 10 game or the 30 game when it goes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain calls and turns over 88 and MHIG.

Sfer,

I really wondered if that was you. I wish I could've stayed and played longer. It was quite clear to me early on that you played very, very well, and I was glad that we didn't tangle in any pots.

Pre-flop call made me feel dirty. I wouldn't do it again.

Flop raise is what I'm really interested in. Basically, getting 12 to 1, I really, really didn't want to fold. Calling seemed to accomplish little, because all the other overcards would come along and I'd likely have dirty cards. I also would like to be able to isolate against UTG who was pretty straightforward but I figured would probably lay down two big cards unimproved if I managed to isolate.

Hence, raise seemed like the only play. So I did that.

I was actually very, very happy when "The Dealer" raised. His hand was going to be a pocket pair lower than 10 about 90% of the time, I figure, and his re-raising meant I got to play a large heads-up pot with 24% equity.

Turn call is very easy, and, in my opinion, the only street which is not open to debate. The funny thing was that the minute the hand was over, the other players at the table went into an uproar about my turn call. One of the better players in the game (sfer: "Rob," in the 6 seat), who I think plays quite big, asked me "if villain turned over his cards, would you still call the turn?" I said "yes." The pro couldn't seem to understand why. I found that very amusing.

TakeMeToTheRiver and I aren't related. We played together a bunch of times in midtown.

No idea why the O8 was so popular last night. I'm just so pleased to get a regular limit game. There were a couple of weeks where I was having to haggle people into playing 3 and 4 handed at another place just to get the game off. A lot of the weaker players left my old place and went to bw.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:24 PM

If you are going to play KTo in a situation like this:

Raise preflop
Old 08-05-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to play KTo in a situation like this:

Raise preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

That certainly went through my mind.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Getting a little off topic but...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only family member of mine that plays cards is my dad -- and he is strictly a home game, $0.10/$0.25 player -- but he loves to tell me the stories of his big wins.

I was also there last night, but never made it to the main game while you and Will were at it. The first time I was at this place, someone asked me if I was Satelliter's brother... apparently all us white boys looks the same...

I know that a couple of the guys playing in the O8 game (the ones that often play uptown about a dozen blocks) are always itching to play non-hold-em games. They are just tough to find live in the city. If you want to get them real exctied, ask them to play a rotation...
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(sfer: "Rob," in the 6 seat), who I think plays quite big, asked me "if villain turned over his cards, would you still call the turn?" I said "yes." The pro couldn't seem to understand why. I found that very amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The correct response is "You gotta be in to win!" or "Folding is for Little ol' Ladies"
Old 08-05-2005, 01:03 PM

Well W, I find it real intersting your approach to poker. You made errors preflop, on the flop, and made a questionable decision on the turn. Got very lucky on the river and at least bet your hand. Very nice play!.

As for your turn call, it is terible! If you think this call is automatic, you should get some buckets and start bailing water right now. You simply can't compute six clean outs here. How do you figure? Sure, if you knew he had 88 a call might be in order. Of course this is only the case because you bloated the pot on the flop with crap. You do understand this right? Furthermore, How exactly - given the action - can you be sure any Ten is going to Win? Or if a King hits your kicker is good? you can't.

You basically performed a party 1/2 play and think congratulations is on order? Please.