Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 05:51 AM

Default BTW...

By the way, I've been reading over some of the archives in the SnG forum and I think reading this will help give you some excellent perspective. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Stupid fish (bad beat post)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
SB raises to $2.65, BB calls $2.50, UTG calls $2.50, MP calls $2.50, Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see. SB says he has something good here. You don't mention any read. AQo versus a reraise sucks. Pokerstove AQo equity versus TT+/AJ+. My hunch is that you're looking in a number in the high 30's, and that's only because I threw in AJ. Still, you have position + excellent pot odds, so this is an easy call IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought BB, UTG & MP were loose callers... so performed a squeeze play to pick up the dead money.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to $6.50, SB raises all-in ($12.71), 1 folds, UTG calls $12.71, 1 folds, Hero raises all-in ($16.40), UTG calls $8.94.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really bad in my opion. I'm really not sure what you're doing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

the table is full of fish. I see these calls as very weak. I know they haven't got anything and they're just calling because they think they're pot commited. I bet less than what SB had in front of him because I knew he would go all-in, the idiots behind would call and I could reraise all-in again for squeeze play #2. You might disagree with me, but I don't think I played this hand badly. Note: this table was full of fish. Not a single decent player.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: BTW...

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I've been reading over some of the archives in the SnG forum and I think reading this will help give you some excellent perspective. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - yeah, I read this post more or less everyday... Probably the best post on 2+2 forums ever... (apart from the 5-yr-olds thread on OOT of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
I do want to point out that this is my first (and I hope last) bad beat post.
I have gotten much better with bad beats and they don't really affect me too much anymore. This was one of the time when it did. I still need to work on this.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might disagree with me, but I don't think I played this hand badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do disagree, but that's okay. I don't post on this forum to impose my views on others, but rather to develop my own game.

[ QUOTE ]
I see these calls as very weak. I know they haven't got anything and they're just calling because they think they're pot commited. I bet less than what SB had in front of him because I knew he would go all-in, the idiots behind would call and I could reraise all-in again for squeeze play #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that AQo is almost never going to be more than a 2-1 favorite against the SB, I would suggest simply pushing to the reraise if you're going to try a squeeze here to maximize your fold equity. I would never make this play though.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:12 AM

I'm not sure this is really a bad beat post as much as a crazy/bizarre hand post. I mean you got all you money in with A-Qo preflop in a three way pot. I expect to lose that hand 90% of the time.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do disagree, but that's okay. I don't post on this forum to impose my views on others, but rather to develop my own game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very honorable.

[ QUOTE ]
Given that AQo is almost never going to be more than a 2-1 favorite against the SB, I would suggest simply pushing to the reraise if you're going to try a squeeze here to maximize your fold equity. I would never make this play though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want fold equity here... I'm value betting vs. these clowns.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure this is really a bad beat post as much as a crazy/bizarre hand post. I mean you got all you money in with A-Qo preflop in a three way pot. I expect to lose that hand 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please look at the betting pattern, note that there are only 2 people raising and the others are merely calling.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please look at the betting pattern, note that there are only 2 people raising and the others are merely calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, honest. But I don't think you're being honest enough with yourself on this hand. You posted this as a bad beat post because you wanted everyone to see what a great play you made against two idiots and how lucky they got. They are without doubt idiots, but I think you have to look at your own play. I can almost guarentee you that 90% of the people who read your post were wondering what you thought you were doing here. You can try to explain it all you want, but you're really only defending it. Dig deeper into your own play and be self-critical. There's just no justification for the way you played this hand. It turns out that you happened to have the best hand preflop, but honestly, how many times is that going to happen? I expect to see at least 2-2 a fair number of times here...Be honest with yourself. If you keep doing things like this, you're going to lose a lot of money. And again, I'm not trying to be confrontational, so please don't take it that way.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 AM

Thank you for your reply. I did not see your posts as being confrontational. I can disagree with you and not think you're a jerk. I can also disagree with you and think in the back of my mind that you might be right. This is all just a thought exercise... and debate is highly encouraged.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Pokerstoved!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want fold equity here... I'm value betting vs. these clowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to pokerstove, your equity versus Villain's range of hands (which I set at any pocket pair, AK-ATo,KQ-KTo,QJ-QTo, JTo, T9s, 98s) is 54%. This is an extremely thin value bet (and very high variance, you'll be taking quite a few of these "bad beats" with plays like this). Frankly, if your opponents are this bad, you really don't need to be making plays like this, as there are far easier ways to get their money.

If you're going to reraise here, I think these numbers show that the play is clearly to push and maximize your chances of winning without a showdown, because any time all your opponents fold you win by default.

Anyways, thank you for the kind words. I'm off to sleep, but I hope you'll be able to learn something of value from this hand.