Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Jean-Claude Van Damme's greatest movie is...
replicant 0 0%
universal soldier: the return 1 0.63%
double team 0 0%
sudden death 4 2.52%
street fighter 4 2.52%
time cop 18 11.32%
hard target 4 2.52%
universal solider 7 4.40%
double impact 1 0.63%
deathwarrent 1 0.63%
bloodsport 110 69.18%
kickboxer 9 5.66%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Better music artist: Tupac vs. Kurt Cobain

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, well I'll go ahead and get flamed.

My neighbor is a studio musician who just put down a track for some dude, that part doesn't matter. Anway, the engineer for the session worked on 'Nevermind' and said that there was a lot of digital enhancements done to Kurt's vocal track. The story continued that it was around the time of the mili vanili fiasco, and Nirvana wanted no one to know that anything had been digitally re-worked. Also, said this guy, Kurt was drinking Cepacol (sore throat medicine) before laying down his tracks, to numb his vocal chords.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I heard about this too, which is why I wasnt so suprised when I heard him live and he sounded like a 13 year old choir boy. Its amazing what they can do with digital stuff
Old 08-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

i always hear about this tupac guy, but i don't know him. so probably not him.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My neighbor is a studio musician who just put down a track for some dude, that part doesn't matter. Anway, the engineer for the session worked on 'Nevermind' and said that there was a lot of digital enhancements done to Kurt's vocal track. The story continued that it was around the time of the mili vanili fiasco, and Nirvana wanted no one to know that anything had been digitally re-worked. Also, said this guy, Kurt was drinking Cepacol (sore throat medicine) before laying down his tracks, to numb his vocal chords.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I heard about this too, which is why I wasnt so suprised when I heard him live and he sounded like a 13 year old choir boy. Its amazing what they can do with digital stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

The drum track that my neighbor put down took 10 minutes. It's all loooped, except for the crashes. He hates it, but the money is decent.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No flame here... you are mostly correct. The digital equipment that your engineer friend claimed he used wasn't available yet however, we (yes, I was a pro engineer in my former career... and oddly I happened to have recorded Tupac which is why this thread is so weird) used to use a few effects to achieve his sound... mostly Eventide H910 (or H949) analog harmonizers, MXR phasers / flangers, Lexicon PC 42 delay for that cool slap back effect (this was digital), etc. That album was cut entirely on analog, using almost 100% analog equipment. The console was a Trident A range.. a very rare console that I would have wet dreams about.

In short, yes he drank lots of Cepacol, and yes there were effects on his voice. So why is that a surprise?

PS: Tupac was one of the biggest ass holes I have ever met. U people have got to wake up, he was NOT talented.. he was just a thug for life and thats what you all like about him. Amazing how very few hip-hop artists actually like Tupac's work isn't it? That should tell you something about him.

As for Milli-Vanilli.... there was nothing digitally reworked on their album either, they were lip syncing when they performed live. HUGE difference. But they weren't the first ones to do this, its been going on since the 60's. I even record Yes once, Steve How's guitar's were replaced by an unnamed session musician because he had arthritis and couldn't perform well anymore. Whats the difference? In my mind its the same.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Post deleted by Cola

Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The drum track that my neighbor put down took 10 minutes. It's all loooped, except for the crashes. He hates it, but the money is decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have your neighbor contact me. I call bullshit.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Better all music artist: Tupac vs. Kurt Cobain

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cobain..and it's not even remotely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how does this even need to be a thread?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 PM

I didn't realise Tupac's stuff qualified as music.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ask any sereous fan of rock AND hip-hop and they will say the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. And trust me, it's not even close.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:23 PM

I say Cobain because he (and his band) more or less created a genre, while Tupac was just an extraordinary representative of a genre that he didn't create. I suppose that means I value creativity and how revolutionary an artist is when evaluating greatness.