Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Universal suffrage a good thing?

[ QUOTE ]
People are not stupider then they used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

In regards to political knowledge they sure are. Politics is becoming more complex and people working longer nowadays, people generally have less time to worry about politics.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 PM

Compared to when, and politics on which scale? Claiming anything in this regard IS STUPID unless you define the terms, and even then, its slippery, speculative, and probably erroneous.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 AM

So you discount both Incoate and Lehigh's opinion then?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:14 PM

How would you determine who gets suffrage and who doesn't?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would you determine who gets suffrage and who doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Literacy tests would be a good place to start. If one cannot read, one cannot educate himself/herself. If one cannot make educated decisions, one should not have a voice in the decisions made for everyone else.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one should not have a voice in the decisions made for everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you take this perfectly reasonable statement and muddy it up with all that stuff you put in front of it?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Excellent topic ^_^

I assume we're ignoring issues related to the constitution, and implementing a new voting structure, ab initio, in a theoretical vacuum.

I feel that different people should have different voting weights, depending on how knowledgable they are regarding the issues relative to the vote. A high school dropout who's done nothing with his life or education should not have the same voting power as someone with a PhD in political science and economics. Perhaps the doctor's vote should count as ten votes, or something like that. How exactly this voting weight should be determined, I don't know. It would take years of expert research.

What's your opinion, vultures?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Excellent topic ^_^

I assume we're ignoring issues related to the constitution, and implementing a new voting structure, ab initio, in a theoretical vacuum.

I feel that different people should have different voting weights, depending on how knowledgable they are regarding the issues relative to the vote. A high school dropout who's done nothing with his life or education should not have the same voting power as someone with a PhD in political science and economics. Perhaps the doctor's vote should count as ten votes, or something like that. How exactly this voting weight should be determined, I don't know. It would take years of expert research.

What's your opinion, vultures?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what vultures' opinion is, but I think yours and other peoples' idea of limiting the voting rights of "uneducated" and "less qualified" people smacks of gross elitism and stems from the mistaken idea that poor and uneducated people are incapable of determining what their own interests are and that therefore smarter, more educated individuals ought to make certain choices for them.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 PM

On the plus side, if their horribly myopic ideas were somehow implemented, the vast majority of highly educated people act according to interests far closer to my own--no stupid religiously motivated social policy, none of the false economics of the so-called "conservatives," and less of the idiocy of the current Republican party.

Repeal Suffrage!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the plus side, if their horribly myopic ideas were somehow implemented, the vast majority of highly educated people act according to interests far closer to my own--no stupid religiously motivated social policy, none of the false economics of the so-called "conservatives," and less of the idiocy of the current Republican party.

Repeal Suffrage!

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew someone was going to make this post, shouldve laid odds on it via PM with someone.

Anyhow, on to my thoughts. Truth is, I didnt have any in particular, hence my post. I explicitly stated that I wasnt against universal suffrage. So there are a few people that posted in this thread that can safetly unbunch their panties now.

To those that actually bothered to read the post and make thoughtful responses, thanks. Sorry I dont have more to contribute.