Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: set of 4\'s at borgata 10/25, what bet?

You pushed when it came back to you? That seems too strong. And you WANT another K to fall so that trips can pay you off. Seemed you were too concerned about "protecting" that monster you had. You could have gotten a bit more value with a turn check-raise or a half-pot/pot sized raise on the flop. Don't be afraid man! If you are, then you're playing in a game that's too big for you.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:05 PM

dude - BET OUT on the flop ~75 - you probably woulda made a lot more money that way since you could then bet the turn 150-200
Old 06-03-2005, 04:01 PM

The only interesting thing about this hand is that this is a fantastic spot to bluff as it turns out.

I imagine making it 700 here with any two cards could very well show a profit in certain types of games.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:06 PM

My concern about just calling and allowing another card before I c/r, was allowing possibly two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king.

They'll fold K2 for a cr there? Maybe they will, I'm just asking. Cause if they will, I'm inclined to let them draw and keep betting into me and catch it cheap. Guy like that has two outs on you and would fold to any further action. Yuk...let him move his stack to you, don't push him off his hand.

Had I thought this through more I would have realized: that concern was overblown, and a king on the turn is really the only card i fear (other than a two?).

Rainbow flop I'd be a little concerned about an Ace (53) or something that might give someone a gut-shot. Though I'm less fearful of that cause it's an unraised pot and people won't likely commit much money to it without a huge hand so why bother drawing for a gutter? I fear an Ace a lot more than I fear a King there, simply cause I'd believe someone's on a hand like KJ a lot more times than they'll be on K2.

Honestly, I'd have thought about betting the flop and trying to cr the turn. As you played it, I'd definitely just call the flop bet. Heads up I'd probably bet out on any turn card, but with three opponents, chances are someone will bet. And the larger pot size on the turn should inspire more action and give you a much better chance of having a cr get called.

I think you're exactly right. I pushed and everyone folded. I never would have worried in a smaller game.

Oh well...live and learn. At least you know it was a bad move. Who's gonna call you there? Even if I've got AK I'm gonna wonder why I should try to fight for a pot I'm hardly invested in...

- C -