Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Where Can I Find A One-Deck Dealer Shoe?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just get a 6 deck shoe and 12 decks (or more depending on # of people... 8x2+5+3+2 xtra for errors = 26... could load up a 6-shoe for 12 games!... for 6 folks you could get 15 games!) and shuffle/load the thing up and deal out the games. Take awhile to load up but the games would go quick! Cracks me up thinking about but it'd work I guess.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Fins,

Am I missing something here? 5 of a kind for everyone!

J5

[/ QUOTE ]
I play crazy games but not that crazy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Definitely have to keep the decks seperate... though now that you bring it up I might rather play that then some of the calls in the dealer's choice game I play... 727, Red/Blk [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Unless _I'm_ missing something I was refering to shuffling one deck, take the top 26 cards, load the deck in the shoe with a cut card/distinguishing marker, repeat till the shoe's loaded... after each game you'd have to pull the extra cards to get to the next deck... still makes me laugh thinking about but it could be done.

- Fins
Old 12-21-2004, 11:44 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: I think I\'m just going to lighten up

After polling my players via email, I've decided to allow dealers to hold the deck in their hands again, but we'll still use the cut cards.

The cut cards I have are actually larger than the decks in use, so they stand out a bit more. And I've put the responsibility on the players to pay attention for any funny business when others are dealing. This way a lot of the stress is off me and the games should flow more smoothly than trying to deal with the deck on the table.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: I think I\'m just going to lighten up

[ QUOTE ]
After polling my players via email, I've decided to allow dealers to hold the deck in their hands again, but we'll still use the cut cards.

The cut cards I have are actually larger than the decks in use, so they stand out a bit more. And I've put the responsibility on the players to pay attention for any funny business when others are dealing. This way a lot of the stress is off me and the games should flow more smoothly than trying to deal with the deck on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good choice and I think having non-dealers shuffle & cut cards is the way to go. I think most folks will understand and it's good you contacted them as the host so they know you'll do whatever's necessary to maintain a clean game.

You could make make a light hearted statement at the start just to put in everyone's mind about a suspect cheater/bottom dealer awhile back and that you want keep it clean so have fun & hopefully take home some cash. Could also alude that it's been dealt with or such and to get with you if anything funny is suspected.

It's a shame you have to have a "No guns" rule [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]... some people!

- Fins
Old 12-21-2004, 03:28 PM

While I don't dispute your concerns that this gentleman was a bit on the seedy side, I hope you can appreciate what skill this would have taken to setup and deal a hand like this. Having been in the field of magic for many years, I've seen my share of incredible seconds, centers, bottoms and greek deals. Dealing from above a cut card is no easy feat. Perfecting this takes years of practice. Perhaps he's just recently learned it and is trying it out at the lower buy in games.

That's not even considering he has to get the cards into position in the first place. Were these cards in question (the sixes and sevens) in the previous hand? He would need some way to collect them and send them to the bottom. A good false shuffle is actually quite easy so that's not a big deal, if the cards were already pre-arranged. Plus the use of the cut card indicates to me the cards were cut (Duh). Still he would have to hop the cut to get his cards back to the bottom, unless he had 'help' from the cutter. No easy feat again, depending on the audience.

If this guy were that good on all of these accounts, I still have a feeling he wouldn't be hanging around $20 tourneys. I could be wrong.

Yes dealing seconds from a shoe is possible, but this only benefits the cheat with one known card (the top) at his disposal. Any cheat with these skills most likely could also just stack the deck so a straight deal still gives the same results.

Just some thoughts. Still, just based on some of the other observations, I'd keep this guy away. But no need to go dealing out of shoes, I'd think.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:32 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't dispute your concerns that this gentleman was a bit on the seedy side, I hope you can appreciate what skill this would have taken to setup and deal a hand like this. Having been in the field of magic for many years, I've seen my share of incredible seconds, centers, bottoms and greek deals. Dealing from above a cut card is no easy feat. Perfecting this takes years of practice. Perhaps he's just recently learned it and is trying it out at the lower buy in games.

That's not even considering he has to get the cards into position in the first place. Were these cards in question (the sixes and sevens) in the previous hand? He would need some way to collect them and send them to the bottom. A good false shuffle is actually quite easy so that's not a big deal, if the cards were already pre-arranged. Plus the use of the cut card indicates to me the cards were cut (Duh). Still he would have to hop the cut to get his cards back to the bottom, unless he had 'help' from the cutter. No easy feat again, depending on the audience.

If this guy were that good on all of these accounts, I still have a feeling he wouldn't be hanging around $20 tourneys. I could be wrong.

Yes dealing seconds from a shoe is possible, but this only benefits the cheat with one known card (the top) at his disposal. Any cheat with these skills most likely could also just stack the deck so a straight deal still gives the same results.

Just some thoughts. Still, just based on some of the other observations, I'd keep this guy away. But no need to go dealing out of shoes, I'd think.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time of the player in question, we were not using a cut card or the rule about keeping the deck on the table. Plus, when you've got a room full of people there's a lot of yapping and so forth going on, so people tend to pay less attention.

Given his shady name, the weapon he was carrying and how he managed to win the event in the end AND pull out quads twice while dealing, I have a feeling we were railroaded.

Another thing is that while it was a $20 tourney, it was also a rebuy tourney, so people could keep putting more and more money into the prize pool. I no longer do rebuy events, this way there's a set amount that everyone knows they could risk maximum during the event.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:19 PM

Have you seen the ones being sold at JC Penneys and (I think) Linens and Things? The ones I saw at Penneys looked pretty portable and easily passed from person to person. And, they didn't _look_ too cheap, although it's always hard to tell.