Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: How much $ per day for you to turn pro?

[ QUOTE ]
For someone who have a decent paying job I think It would be about 500$ / day, five hours par day. Below that I think you are better part time if you dont hate your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right...if I quit my job and played 5/10NL live 5 days a week, full sessions I would want to clear ~2K/week to live comfortably.

I plan on moving to vegas next year but I will play poker only in a part-time spectrum since it would get very monotonous.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For someone who have a decent paying job I think It would be about 500$ / day, five hours par day. Below that I think you are better part time if you dont hate your job.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL LOL.....

Now thats hillarious....I lived in Montreal for like 3 yrs and VERY few people not mention french people make 500 a day after taxes. Something like 220k per annum Canuckian(320 days per yr...exchange...). You can live so well in Montreal as a single man for like 80K canadian it is scary.

You can also have sex with alot of hot chicks and probably still collect Social insurance and get paid to learn French.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL LOL.....

Now thats hillarious....I lived in Montreal for like 3 yrs and VERY few people not mention french people make 500 a day after taxes. Something like 220k per annum Canuckian(320 days per yr...exchange...). You can live so well in Montreal as a single man for like 80K canadian it is scary.

You can also have sex with alot of hot chicks and probably still collect Social insurance and get paid to learn French.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this 220 k, check the exchange rate.

I live in Quebec City so I know how it works in Quebec. As I said to quit a 50 k paying job to play poker I need to know I will be making more money only playing poker than poker + work.

So 500 / day 5 days per week 45 week per year make about 115 k us, so 140 k Canadian before tax (if you read the law poker should be taxed in Canada, I think its a matter of when they will enforce it). With that kind of money you can save for the future (invest for passive income) who may not be as kind as now for the poker players.

For someone who already have a good job, I think that you need a really confortable roll and a good expectation, because playing part-time is usually the best choice for someone not that good at poker.

I've seen friends go pro with an expectation of about 40 $ per hour at poker and they had a hard time growing a bankroll and going past the bad months.

All that said I'm quitting my job next week.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All that said I'm quitting my job next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha

vnh
Old 11-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Many people with the ability to be good at poker would also be good at high paying jobs. I know as a software engineer, there's almost no way I could quit and play poker for a living.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM

A consistent $200/day playing less than 5 hours would do it for me.

Would mean time and money to travel, perhaps to go back to school.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming a 5-day week, that's $50K per year pre-tax. Yeah, that'll really make you a world taveler.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming a 5-day week, that's $50K per year pre-tax. Yeah, that'll really make you a world taveler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in fact it would.
I've been all over the world on far less than $50k/year.

Are you one of those people who can't imagine travelling without $200/night hotels, room service, and cab rides everywhere?

I'm more of a bathroom down the hall, Indian takeout, Metro pass sort of guy myself.

Last trip to London cost less than $2k for me and my niece, inlcuding airfare from the American South.

...and a consistent $50k/year on part time hours would mean I could go back to school with financial worries and still have Summers off to travel. If I want to take a trip, I can always play a bit more for a couple weeks to pay for it.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 PM

I gave it a shot at just over $100/day @ 6 hour days 6 months after learning that a flush beats a straight.

I was 19 at the time though so that's more then any job I'd be working + the benefits are priceless...always have a plan B and C though that's why i'm part timing school...and if I'm not making around 100k+/yr by the time I'm 22 I'll be dropping it.

but yeah...if you're young enough with no dependants definitly give it a shot if you love the game and are a consistent winner, never be satisfied by how much you're making and how good your game is though.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:17 PM

Here's what I recommend you do. Calculate how much you earn per hour of work. Say you make $50k/year at your current job. That comes out to about $24/hr ( ($50k/52)/40) ). Now, when you can earn $96/hr at poker and have $50k saved, you can consider quitting your job.

That might sound really high, but let me explain. First, you should have a year's worth of living expenses saved. I know people recommend 6 months, but to be safe, you want more. Second, unless you are a machine, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to play 40 hours of poker a week. 20 hours per week is much more likely. Don't forget that you will also be introducing new expenses, such as additional taxes and medical insurance. You also need to be growing your bankroll while you play and sticking some of your winnings away in long term savings for the future.

Take it from someone who took the leap a bit prematurely. You'd much rather be overbankrolled and have more savings than you'll need than to be underbankrolled and have to worry yourself sick over every downswing.