Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Jazz recommendations???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

Chick Corea: now he sings, now he sobs

McCoy Tyner: the real McCoy

Freddie Hubbard: Ready for Freddie, Red Clay

Joe Henderson: any

Stan Getz: sweet rain, focus, serenity, people time

Miles Davis: Miles In the Sky( a real gem of his)

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Freedom Suite, Sound of Sonny

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Larry Young: Unity

Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

[/ QUOTE ]

As the resident OOT jazz expert, what do you think of Friday Night In San Francisco?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 AM

coleman hawkins
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want some real jazz recommendations, no Kenny G ish, but I want it to be pretty chill, just some mood music, nothing to distract me from concentrating on the game. Another words, trying to stay away from bebop and free jazz.

Some names besides Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, just to give you an idea of the type of vibe I am into.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've given my jazz backgroun schpiel several times already, so I'm not gonna trot it out again. Okay onto the recomendations

Chick Corea: now he sings, now he sobs

McCoy Tyner: the real McCoy

Freddie Hubbard: Ready for Freddie, Red Clay

Joe Henderson: any

Stan Getz: sweet rain, focus, serenity, people time

Miles Davis: Miles In the Sky( a real gem of his)

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Freedom Suite, Sound of Sonny

Grant Green: Idle Moments

Larry Young: Unity

Hank Mobley: the album title skips my mind right now, but the one with the song: This I Dig of you

[/ QUOTE ]

As the resident OOT jazz expert, what do you think of Friday Night In San Francisco?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big fan. I'd be willing to give you a run at the resident OOT jazz expert title [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I'm more of a hard bop expert and definetly sax expert as that is my instrument that I studied on
Old 12-19-2005, 02:54 AM

I believe he was saying that you are the resident OOT jazz expert. Also what about Django Reinhart(sp?) he is probably my favorite jazz musician.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 AM

O, well, alcohol can have that effect on things. I like Django, but my taste is more in the mid 50s to late 60s era of jazz. Of course, Django set the standard along with charlie christian for how the jazz guitar got played.

You really should check out Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall. I like John Abercrombie a bit too, but he doesn't play with a jazz tone all that often. If you give me some time, I can come up with some good guitarists, there is are some really good modern guitarists playing right now
Old 12-19-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe he was saying that you are the resident OOT jazz expert. Also what about Django Reinhart(sp?) he is probably my favorite jazz musician.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. KDawg is undoubtedly the jazz authority.

Not technically jazz but Friday Night In San Francisco is probably the sickest instrumental CD I've ever heard in any genre.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:21 AM

stan getz (earlier stuff, also "sweet rain") - the quintessential "cool jazz" sax player. also a burning bop player when we wanted to be.

tom harrell - more modern trumpeter. tom is schizophrenic and hangs his head in a daze when not playing. when he plays though his whole body changes and he's just majestic. also one of the best jazz trumpeters in the world. check out "the art of rhythm"

bill evans - everything he ever recorded was great, but check out "sunday at the village vanguard" with scott lafaro

keith jarrett - he's got tons of high energy stuff, but his solo album "the melody, at night, with you" is super chill. his most subdued trio outing is probably "at the deer head inn", recorded with paul motian (the drummer on bill evan's "sunday.."!)

jim hall - played with paul desmond, as well as sonny rollins. all his stuff is great, check out "alone together" with ron carter.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:32 AM

I spent about a week trying to get into jazz and see if I liked it or not before I got occupied with other junk and haven't got back around to it yet so take this FWIW...

Give Oh Yeah by Charles Mingus a shot, see what happens. I liked it better than Mingus Ah Um.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 AM

Joshua Redman is an excellent (if traditional) saxaphonist. I can't believe no one has mentioned Miles Davis - Kind of Blue yet either.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 AM

I just recently got into jazz over the past couple of years. Mostly blue note stuff. Mid 50's to late 60's

Anyway hear are some of my favorites:

George Benson and the Jack Mcduff Quartet "The new boss guitar of George Benson".

- This is the 1st. jazz cd I brought. George benson was like 19 yrs. on this recording and plays like a pro. Great
cd. He's one of my favorite jazz guitarists.

Kenny Burrell "Blue Midnight"- Another great jazz guitarist.

Charlie Christain " The Genius of the electric guitar"-

I think this guy was the first to every play an electric guitar. The music is from like 1930 but this is an great jazz record with so pretty cool riff's in songs like "seven come eleven" and solo flight in b.

Lou Donaldson "Midnight Creeper"- Lou plays alto sax and this is another really good blue note recording with George Benson on guitar.

Thelonius Monk and John Coletrane live at Carnige Hall.

This was just released and is a rare live recording of both jazz giants playing at the top of their game.