Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: gutshot

This is just rediculously aggressive. I think utg finds a fold most of the time unless you have been default pushing with any type of draw. Metagame is awesome and the play itself is probably break if the UTG folds maybe slightly +EV b/c of shortstacks tendency to do odd stuff. If he doesn't fold, you will be able to get your money back in short order b/c he will be calling you down light most of the night.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10, player who opens with a wide range of hands raises UTG to 30, 1 caller, I call in CO with T9s, button (300ish) bumps it up to 130, UTG calls, I feel like I could stack UTG so I make a debatable call, we both have about 1100. Flop comes 862r, checked to button who moves all in for 180 more, UTG calls, I move in.

Eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

The preflop call is poor. The reason Ed Miller's shortstack strategy works is because people give short stacks with premium hands action with hands like yours.

The flop reraise is breakeven if the other deep stack folds; the times that the button has 2 big cards and you have +EV counteracts the times the button has a big pair and you have -EV.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM

I'm not liking this much AZK. The whole thing falls apart unless UTG folds virtually every time, and I don't see how you can count on him folding every time. The short stack on the Button pushes on a rag flop here very often if it is checked around. UTG checks, knowing that Button will probably push if you check as well, and then flat calls (rather than raises) when the Button pushes as expected. I don't think that UTG has a big hand here every time, but he easily could take this line with a set, hoping to sucker you into playing with a hand like TT.