Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: 60k checkup: PT screenshot

I'm not sure how low to go on blind defense. Does anyone have a favorite thread toggled on blind defense?

"You apparently seem to think that stats are the means to the end of good play"

Balkii: This is far from what I think. I read the boards all the time. I realize that understanding why and how to play is far more important than stats. I'm always digging for a new concept to integrate into my game. I'm working on improving.

Although I haven't posted many hands, I would say that posting and reading the hands, and listening to the advice of veterans is easily the most important way to improve your game. Way to sum me up without knowing anything about the way I think about poker... good show.

Seeing stats would still be interesting and probably at least somewhat helpful. I never said that I thought it would change the world.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:17 PM

I think stats post are useful. Stats reveal your gameplan, you still must excute and adjust. Stats are also the quickest and easiest way to point out flaws.
Besides the one that was already pointed out. Folded to river was about 45%. Coincidentally mine was exactly the same. I have started calling down more in marginal situations and it has paid off.
Joe
Recently
Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 PM

The high aggression numbers would seem to suggest that you are folding too much. Sometimes it is best to just call

Gazza
Old 02-13-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are too aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a secondary problem. He's *much* too tight. He's probably giving up 0.50 BB in profit or so simply by folding his blinds so much alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least .5 BB...prob more
Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM

Are you guys serious, could my lack of blind defense really be costing me over .5 BB?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:26 PM

I don't agree.

His main blind problem is the BB, where he is folding approxamatly 15% more hands than he should.

In 100 hands he gets BB 100/5.5 = 18 times, where 5.5 is the avarage number of players at the avarage short handed table.

If he is subject to steal every time and all the hands he is folding are EV = +1SB:
18 (times) * .15 (hands that should not have been folded) = 2.7 Small bets = 1.35 Big bets.

A more likely scenario is that he is subject to steal every third rotation and that the hands he is laying down are EV= +.2 SB, then he is losing
18 * 1/3 * 0.15 * .2 = 0.18 SB = 0.09 BB / 100 hands. Maybe this isn't the most likely scenario, but a scenario where he is losing 0.5BB/100 hands by not defending his BB enough is nowhere close to reality.

I do agree though that he should defend his blinds more. By doing that he not only gets EV+ on every good situation where he defends, but he will also be subject to less steals do to his meta game (I love that) image.

On a side note I defend my BB 43% of times.

Disclaimer: There may be flaws in the math or the resoning, but at least no animals where hurt. Ex. one should add a bit losses to the 0.09 BB / 100 hands because sometimes his foes will steal when otherwise they would have folded. This I think is not near 0.4 BB / 100 hands though.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:46 PM

Looks like you could loosen up a bit, perhaps make better use of isolating bad players when you have position (or even when you don't). As for aggression, the PT stats can't tell us much about your alleged problems there, but my guess is you try to outLAG the LAGs, when rope-a-dope would be more profitable.

Besides those two factors, you could have any number of bad postflop leaks that PT won't really pick up. Start posting and commenting on hands, asking questions in threads when you don't get a concept. You might look like a fool sometimes, but it's by far the best way to improve.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:02 PM

I think you are missing the general concept of blind defense. If someone doesn't defend his blinds enough, such as our poster, only loses .09bb/100 because of this flaw, then blind defense wouldn't be a big deal for anyone.

In reality, blind defense is the reason someone can go from break even to a winning player. I would say it is very possible to lose .5/100 or more due to weak blind defense. I do not feel like going through all the math though because my head hurts, but to me it is just makes sense.

In SH games, blind defense is a MAJOR part of the game, not one that only effects .09-.2BB/100 hands. If I am way off base here I would like to hear some comments from people so that I may see the error of my ways. If anyone agrees with me and posts reasons they shall recieve a virtual high five.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:06 PM

When is it a steal? When there is a raiser and no other callers, is that when I should defend with 89o. Right now I'm calling my BB with any two cards above T and any pairs.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:12 PM

"Right now I'm calling my BB with any two cards above T and any pairs."

Blind defense isn't as generic as that. No rigid formula will work. You have to examine the position of the raiser, your read of the raiser, and how many others are in (and your reads on them). 89o is a good example because all of these variabes have to be right for defending to be profitable.

Like I said, post hands. You'll thank yourself later.