Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Backup Facility For Windows XP Home Edition?

my method has been to use norton ghost, the disk copy feature. I got an extra internal HD, put it in the bay, and copy my drive onto it. the idea is that in case of failure I can simply pop in the backup drive and have all the same programs and data ready to go. well the first time I tried, my copied disk was bootable. but on subsequent attempts it would not boot (if I put it in place of the original disk). I remebered some discussoin that XP, because of copy protection, will not be bootable on a cloned HD. is this a bad method? would I be able to make my clone bootable if I HD 1 ever failed.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Microsoft Page Explaining The Backup Utility

Windows XP has its own backup utility and a Backup Wizard to go along with it.

Here is an excerpt from the Microsoft page and the link for those who wish more information:

(excerpt)"Open Windows XP Backup

Windows XP includes its own backup program, although you may need to do some digging to find it. You can also take your pick of third-party programs (listed at the end of this column) that add bells and whistles you won't find in the basic Windows XP Backup utility.

If you use Windows XP Professional, the Windows Backup utility (Ntbackup.exe) should be ready for use. If you use Windows XP Home Edition, you'll need to follow these steps to install the utility:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click the CD icon in My Computer.

2. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional Tasks.

3. Click Browse this CD.

4. In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup.

5. Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

For more information, see How to Install Backup in Windows XP Home Edition.

With that chore out of the way, you're ready to begin backing up. By default, the Backup utility uses a wizard that makes the process straightforward. To start Backup:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup to start the wizard.

2. Click Next to skip past the opening page, choose Back up files and settings from the second page, and then click Next. You should see the page shown in Figure 1, which represents your first decision point...
"(end excerpt)

Microsoft Backup Page
Old 06-29-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Backup Facility For Windows XP Home Edition?

How can I get NTBackup for Windows XP Home Edition?

Link referenced in above article. Use at your own risk.

ntbackup.msi

Another page to look at:

WinXPTutor's XP Resources