Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Re: How low can you go? (vpip)

Definitely try .5/1 or 1/2 SH until you can feel comfortable playing far more hands. Don't expect to learn too much about postflop play for higher limits, but there are donks at every level and you'll still learn at least a little.

Edit: Also, the advice to wait is very good too.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 AM

The first time I moved to 6-max, I got totally slaughtered -- like you, I was playing in full ring mode. Then I discovered Mebenhoe's starting hand chart. Read the whole thread, and follow the chart for a little while. I think you can be a bit tighter than the chart for those areas you do not yet feel comfortable with (e.g. might want to avoid blind stealing with 33 or 78s, that sort of thing). You will soon be out of weak-tight preflop mode.

Lots of people say that you can't set preflop standards for shorthanded. WHilst I agree their are many context sensitive situations, a begginer will do much better following a chart than by making up there own strategy. Just be aware of obvious things, like if a 5%PFR raises in front, tighten up considerably with re-raises. Once your feeling confident, you can begin to loosen up with iso-raises against poor players, etc....
Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 PM

I agree with stigmata; this is the best advice you have recieved in this thread.

As to moving back to short, I think with the chart and playing 1-2 tables, SH is the best place to get good poker experience. It can be more expensive if you arent used to it yet, but I think as far as learning/hour SH with a chart is by far the best. You learn about equity and hand ranges and marginal situations much faster because you are in them so much more often.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:17 PM

You're likely going to lose as you get started in 6m, especially since it sounds like you don't have that firm of a base to begin with.

I know you don't want to "drop down in limits" to 1/2 6m, but seriously, your just reducing the cost of a lesson.

But hey, if you don't mind rifling off 300BB at 3/6 while learning the game, be my guest.