Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous Tipping

[ QUOTE ]
I was at my friend's dorm one day and we decided to get Domino's. It came to 20-25 and when I got down there, the guy goes "25 for the pizza, 5 for the tip," and since I can't understand foreigners I said "what?" and he goes "just kidding" but then I process that it was what he said and laugh and give him the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deliveryman was a jackass for stating tip but $5 on a $25 order is anything but ridiculous.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not get this at all.

At an all-you-can-drink brunch a few years back in NYC, four or five of us had the waiter running back and forth so much for more mimosas and bloody marys it was crazy. At one point, he comes to us and says "Guys, you guys are really going through these drinks fast," and we are about to kill him for telling us to slow down when he continues "would it be OK if I started bringing out your mimosas in pint glasses instead of champagne glasses?" HAHAHAHHAHA, awesome. So we stay there a long time and get our bill of about $100. We left $200+. He was very happy.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:50 PM

I used to deliver pizza back home (in canada). Drunk american fishing tourists would order pizza, but would have a lot of trouble converting american to canadian or even telling what denomination the canadian bills were. I would deliver an order of like $30CDn and these guys would try to give me $50US. I'd usually try to explain that they were giving me $40 for 10 minutes work, but some were so generous/drunk they didn't care. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Those guys were awesome. Also, I was a paper boy back I was like 12 and every Christmas I'd get presents from almost every house. These two neighbours would semi-compete with eachother - one guy ended up giving me $50 one day (hell of a lot of money for a 12 year old).

-SmileyEH
Old 06-26-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service....We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes tipping is just an easy way to be nice - to brighten someone's day. So, when they're mean to you, you don't have to return the favor by giving them a shitty tip, you can be nice and make their day. This is especially good if you ever plan to return to the restaurant. Next time they'll remember you for being the "nice guy" and you'll probably get better service.

Besides, 120% of the meal price was still probably just 10-20 bucks. It's not like you can't afford to make someone's day and shatter a stereotype at the same time.

My S/O and I often share a meal and sometimes get that look from the servers that we're cheap and won't tip well. But really, we just know our appetites and don't like to order too much food that will just get wasted. So, we often tip 30-50%.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service....We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes tipping is just an easy way to be nice - to brighten someone's day. So, when they're mean to you, you don't have to return the favor by giving them a shitty tip, you can be nice and make their day. This is especially good if you ever plan to return to the restaurant. Next time they'll remember you for being the "nice guy" and you'll probably get better service.

Besides, 120% of the meal price was still probably just 10-20 bucks. It's not like you can't afford to make someone's day and shatter a stereotype at the same time.

My S/O and I often share a meal and sometimes get that look from the servers that we're cheap and won't tip well. But really, we just know our appetites and don't like to order too much food that will just get wasted. So, we often tip 30-50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I overtip all the time. I just prefer to do it to people who are friendly and good to everyone, that's all.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:19 PM

On the last day of school last semester five friends and I went to some hip café in LA and drank up a storm... The bill wound up being about $410, so we left an even $500, I believe, and went on with our night.

I was really upset on the ride home when I realized that the $410 already included an 18% gratuity since there were 6 of us.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was really upset on the ride home when I realized that the $410 already included an 18% gratuity since there were 6 of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that. They think it's a license to go ahead and provide crappy service.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:23 PM

One time me and my HS buddies went to Chili's and just ordered drinks and bottomless chips. One of my friends even asked how much a drink was before he ordered. The waitress took pity on us and ended up not charging us for the drinks so our bill was like $2. I think we ended up tipping about 350%.

I too had a paper route when I was 12. The biggest Christmas tip I ever got was $30, but one of my customers did give me a old set of golf clubs he had because he knew I was left-handed.

-Craig
Old 06-26-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
five friends and I

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hip café in LA

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
drank up a storm...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bill wound up being about $410

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$410 already included an 18% gratuity

[/ QUOTE ]

So six of you, ~$350 at a hip joint in LA after "drinking up a storm" ? You guys must not be very experienced at drinking.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:27 PM

This is true.

One person was driving, though, and another girl gets completely destroyed after approximately two drinks, and another was, well... Just a normal girl. So it was pretty much just three guys, all 18 or 19, and we weren't drinking expensive liquor.

Plus, it wasn't THAT hip.