I would check/fold the turn
Old 10-30-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: this hand made no sense; i am a fish

[ QUOTE ]

i would have thought the points of contention were:
flop - bet out
or once bet, checkraise or call?

turn - donk or checkraise?

and river - 3bet or accept kicker troubles?

i dont think folding at any point post flop is possible... imo at least

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop is fine, turn is luke warm.
The river is much closer to a fold than a 3-bet. He bet a 9 high flop, called your turned 10 donk and raised a river'd 9....whatcha think he has?
Edit: You still have to call because he probably has 92 or something often enough.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I've played too much 6max lately.

To Aaron: I do know about folding to raises, I was just thinking that the blind softens the blow of playing this draw heavy hand.

Forget the SB then, how many players do we need total to play these from the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right that the blinds soften the blow, I just don't think that they do often enough. The other problem is that since you have a preflop raisor, the limpers get timid (especially with the PF aggressor in LP here). These weak players won't call down as much with marginal hands and weak draws when you make your hand.

What do you think?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 PM

<Grunching>

Preflop call is marginal, at best. From BB, I would, but not SB.

Flop: I'm not sure TPNK is really a c/r type hand. After UTG bets into a PFR, I figure him for either 98 or 9T, both of which beat you. MP calling rather than raising probably means UI overs. Nonetheless, you're probably behind, and MP has 6 outs to beat you with, plus 12 scare cards to bluff at. The pot's big enough to peel one, but I'd be looking at this as a very marginal hand, likely a 3-5 outer, rather than a monster.

Turn: Again, I'd c/c, rather than bet out.

River: Miracle card, but if MP has the case 9, you're probably still losing with your trips. When he raises you, I figure that for a certainty. You have to make the crying call, but expect to be shown J9, 98, Q9, even A9 WAY more often than the hands you beat (96, 94, 92).
Old 10-30-2005, 01:37 PM

I would seriously consider checking on the flop and reevaluating when it comes back to you. I don't see this as an auto-call either. You have TPMK, OOP for the rest of the hand, and no real draws. With three players still to act, 97 off might not even be best right now. You still can't reliably put the PF raisor on overcards. Betting out doesn't protect your hand.

The alarm bells should have gone off when UTG limp/caller bets INTO PF raiser. I'm slowing way down when I don't have a solid read on UTG. He might have hit his set (leaving you drawing almost dead), or he could even think his top pair is good. In the best case of these two likely scenarios, your only drawing to your three outer and BDFD (I can't see many calling UTG and flop betting with 96 or worse). Depending on how likely you think UTG having a set is, you might lay this down getting 10:1 (needing 10.4:1 to call a four outer).

The turn bet is outrageous. Which one of the two aggressors is laying down with a 7:1 overlay? Maybe you think you're 97 is still good?

I think you could have easily gotten away from this hand at some point: arguably on the flop, and if not, then on the turn. Looks like you paid off a nine with a better kicker.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 PM

I fold preflop,
I fold the flop(Yes i know we have top pair, Wooo horrayyy for 7Kicker!)
I dont bet the turn, I check call IF ANYTHING.
River looks ok.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why no one is considering checking on the flop and reevaluating when it comes back to you. I don't see this as an auto-call either. You have TPMK, OOP for the rest of the hand, and no real draws. With three players still to act, 97 off might not even be best right now. You still can't reliably put the PF raisor on overcards. Betting out doesn't protect your hand.

The alarm bells should have gone off when UTG limp/caller bets INTO PF raiser. I'm slowing way down when I don't have a solid read on UTG. He might have hit his set (leaving you drawing almost dead), or he could even think his top pair is good. In the best case of these two likely scenarios, your only drawing to your three outer and BDFD (I can't see many calling UTG and flop betting with 96 or worse). Depending on how likely you think UTG having a set is, you might lay this down getting 10:1 (needing 10.4:1 to call a four outer).

The turn bet is outrageous. Which one of the two aggressors is laying down with a 7:1 overlay? Maybe you think you're 97 is still good?

I think you could have easily gotten away from this hand at some point: arguably on the flop, and if not, then on the turn. Looks like you paid off a nine with a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding TP on the flop in 6-max? Oi.

I don't like C/Ring this flop, I'd just bet/call, check/fold turn UI.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:09 PM

Betting out won't protect. You also have no idea where you're at in the hand with a preflop raiser yet to act. Are we really betting out on the flop?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting out won't protect. You also have no idea where you're at in the hand with a preflop raiser yet to act. Are we really betting out on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Protect? Why protection? This is a value bet.
We can't check to the PF raiser every time "for information" either. He'll bet with unimproved overs as quickly as with a set here. We learn nothing by checking it to him.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:21 PM

But you plan to call anyway with a 6 1/2 out draw for nine bets! If you bet and plan to fold the turn anyway, why not check and let UTG tell you that you're beat, and avoid paying off three BBs later with second best. UTG might not reraise with something like T9.

What am I missing here?