Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Playing K10s with caution and aggression

On the flop why not lead out and use the LAG to put pressure on the other two players. You have top pair but don't want calls from KQ or AJ. There is nothing you can do about flush draws or 9's but you can make them pay.

Turn- fine

River- I just call. UTG+1 could have been going for a check raise on the turn (figurign LAG would bet)
Old 07-30-2004, 03:02 PM

I dont like the limp...especially with a known extreme LAG behind me.

Flop: I would lead
Turn: I would lead
River: I would go for the overcall
Old 07-30-2004, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is clearly a hand of reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree - reverse implied odds would apply here if the hero had, say, 77... and was trying to catch the ExtremeLAG in a bluff/semibluff, and that was the only way he could hope to win as the odds of improving were so small.

In this hand, he has TPGK on the flop, which likely is the best hand at the moment. He also has decent odds of improving to 2 pair or trips, furthermore there are only 3 overcards (because he holds a king) that can fall to cause trouble - J,Q,A.

When the LAG fails to raise the flop, you only get 1 bet out of your opponents, while you get 2 out of them with the c/r.

Surf
Old 07-30-2004, 03:19 PM

If you can't count on an "extreme" LAG to raise your flop bet, who can you count on?
Old 07-30-2004, 04:03 PM

Reverse implied odds mean that his hand decreases in value as the hand plays on. It also implies that the hand does have value initially. So, yes TPGK indeed does have a lot of value on the flop as it is most likely the best hand Why/how does it decreas in value? Well, there are a ton of cards that will hurt this hand and only 4 that help it. This hand is in trouble if a J, Q, A, 9, 6 or club hits. Thats 24 cards.

In your example if here has 77 is a set, so it has 7 cards to improve on the turn and 10 on the river. Maybe you meant a pair of sevens as if hero had A7 or something. It is very unlikely that is the best hand at this point and yes it does have very little chance to improve.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:20 PM

77 was a mistake, I didn't re-read the post and meant a mid PP that was not a set and had a number of overcards. A set of 7s is definitely not reverse implied odds.

If a J or Q hits, the world doesn't end for hero - his hand may still be good and he does have a chance to improve. The other cards that complete a straight are worrisome, but hero should be able to get away from his hand if faced with action when those cards do show up.

He may have to dodge a few cards to win at showdown, but he still has a strong holding and a good chance of winning by the river.

Surf
Old 07-30-2004, 04:22 PM

Default oops! 55 or 66, not 77

I didnt look back at the post - my example of 7's gives a set... 55 or 66 instead then.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:02 PM

Bet into him on the flop. He will auto raise and make everybody call 2 cold (with bad odds). Everything else I play the same.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:23 PM

I bet the flop. Hopefully he will raise.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:27 PM

"After reading SSH, I am thinking that you should be exploiting your advantage on the turn"

What advantage on the turn? You are concerned that by betting the flop you will not get a raise from the lag, so how are you going to put pressure on the field on the turn?

Victor is correct here- your hand is likely the best hand right now (on the flop) but there are many cards that will either
1. beat your hand, with few/no outs to redraw.
2. kill your action, by either making you or the rest of the field timid.

your best shot at clearing out the field is to have the lag raise your bet, and the most likely time for that is on the flop.