Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Good semi-bluff spot?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing a lot of value if you lay it down preflop. J9s plays remarkably well/easily here, although I will almost never lead the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure - it's a tough call for me pre-flop OOP. J9s really needs to hit the flop to play easily IMO. Otherwise tough decision OOP on every street. Say you flop top pair - you must bet out, right? And if you are raised? Perhaps I'm thinking too weak-tight here...

But if I do call pre-flop, on OP's flop, leading out with 3 players to act on a flop that likely hit someone - bad spot to semi-bluff. I would check call with decent odds, otherwise check-fold (this is not a great flop for my hand OOP).

Don't feel probe bet accomplishes much except beg for reraise with better hand / semi-bluff.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 PM

The trick is to play it for straight/flush value and not pair value.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:37 PM

I think I like c/c the best (B).
Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The trick is to play it for straight/flush value and not pair value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get that (I would only play this hand with hopes of flopping a monster draw / trips / 2-pair at worst)

I used top pair as an example of a likely made hand on the flop that is difficult to play OOP. Can you check-fold top pair? Can you check-call a pot-sized bet? I think you'd have to bet, and with 3 players to act in a big pot, TPNK not looking so hot if there's a call or a raise.

Unless you flop a huge hand /draw, you have really difficult decisions ahead of you, and are easily dominated. The more I think about it the more I fold this pre-flop and wait for a better spot with position.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:48 PM

A. The first call pre-flop is fine.

B. The second call pre-flop is bad.

C. Post-flop is a tough spot. I like checking to see what the action is. If he bets pot, I'd probably release unless there is another caller. You could consider c/r all-in in some instances with some opponents, or open push all-in with some opponents. You have to figure out if these are the right players to do this.