Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Heads Up For UK Viewers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Paul 'Dot Com' Phillips is also doing a surprisingly good job on the Heads Up shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask why that sentence includes that particular adverb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just a bit of classic stereotyping based on watching the WPT shows.

To be honest, most of the commentary teams I've seen on various shows have been disappointing, for one reason or another. Sometimes they're over-excitable, sometimes egos get in the way of the commentary, etc. The World Poker Championship is a good example of this - the combination of loud Aussie with a different guest pro commentator on each show has been a real mixed bag and is probably a factor (albeit one of several) in why the shows aren't seen as particularly good productions.

Consequently, when the WHUPC started airing I didn't have particularly high hopes for another 'Aussie and pro' team. However, I've found the commentary to be unobtrusive, knowledgeable and, for once, it actually adds to the enjoyment of the programme, whereas many others are enjoyable 'despite' the commentary.

It wasn't intended to offend and I apologise (assuming that this is indeed you to whom I'm replying) if it did. Its a sad reflection that my expectations regarding the standard of poker commentators are so low that good ones actually prove to be a pleasant surprise.

Sheriff
Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I havent watched it yet its Sky+'ed along with the heads up stuff, I think she used to commentate on LNP and she has a nasally voice that gets on my nerves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that her voice and Jonathan 'Woss' pronunciation isn't ideally suited to commentary but her analysis was spot on throughout the show. I found the latter to be much more important.

Sheriff

PS: Having done a couple of Fanzone football commentaries on Sky in the past I can vouch that commentary is not the easiest thing in the world to do!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't intended to offend and I apologise (assuming that this is indeed you to whom I'm replying) if it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm harder than that to offend, I was just curious why you'd have any expectations for me at all.

I haven't seen any of the episodes yet but I'm glad that what comments I've seen have been positive. I'd never done anything like that before and I was noticeably better at it by the end of the taping than I was to start.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:13 AM

I know how you feel with regard to the commentary thing. I was just starting to feel at ease with the whole situation just as the final whistle was blowing!

On a more serious note, Paul, that's now 3 times I've seen you on TV and you've had 3 very different hairstyles/colours. What's next on the agenda - blonde afro, dreadlocks, ponytail?

Sheriff
Old 09-14-2004, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On a more serious note, Paul, that's now 3 times I've seen you on TV and you've had 3 very different hairstyles/colours. What's next on the agenda - blonde afro, dreadlocks, ponytail?

[/ QUOTE ]

David Beckham of the poker world?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes they're over-excitable, sometimes egos get in the way of the commentary, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or sometimes they just don't know f'ck about the game. Players as commentators are always better, even if they are new to it.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I havent watched it yet its Sky+'ed along with the heads up stuff, I think she used to commentate on LNP and she has a nasally voice that gets on my nerves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that her voice and Jonathan 'Woss' pronunciation isn't ideally suited to commentary but her analysis was spot on throughout the show. I found the latter to be much more important.

Sheriff

PS: Having done a couple of Fanzone football commentaries on Sky in the past I can vouch that commentary is not the easiest thing in the world to do!

[/ QUOTE ]

You have gone down in my estimations, it is the most pointless part of skys coverage I cant beleive anyone listens to it except the mates and families of those taking part. The bits I have heard ends up a screaming match and the people saying come on my son rather than trying to do anyform of commentary. I think now as well the people on it are competing to be the most idiotic.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have gone down in my estimations, it is the most pointless part of skys coverage I cant beleive anyone listens to it except the mates and families of those taking part. The bits I have heard ends up a screaming match and the people saying come on my son rather than trying to do anyform of commentary. I think now as well the people on it are competing to be the most idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but how often do you get paid £150 to watch football on TV?

Does also being a fan of the week on Soccer AM redeem me in any way? I can post the photo of me kissing Helen Chamberlain if it will restore my credibility!
Old 09-14-2004, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but how often do you get paid £150 to watch football on TV?

Does also being a fan of the week on Soccer AM redeem me in any way? I can post the photo of me kissing Helen Chamberlain if it will restore my credibility!

[/ QUOTE ]

£150 I had assumed they gave you expenses and thats it.

If you had kissed the soccerette (providing she was decent) that would repair your credability.

I dont really watch it much these days as some of the jokes are starting to get a bit old now.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:21 AM

I think its funny that people trash random poker players only to have them pop up on the site out of nowhere and call them out on it.

It's sort of like saying "Shaq is a wimp" and then having him tap you on the shoulder...except Phillips can't reach into the computer screen and throttle you.