Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: 6-max VPIP- whats the lowest it can be for +ev

[ QUOTE ]
Including the blinds my VPIP is around 20% at the $25 6-max, and I am a winning player. Clearly people start noticing that I hardly play, which is why I change tables regularly. Ussually, though, they don't notice until I am up a stack or two. When they start respecting my preflop raises I leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just change gears and start playing super-LAG when they've adjusted to your tightness? You are shorting your development as a player by leaving every time this occurs.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just change gears and start playing super-LAG when they've adjusted to your tightness? You are shorting your development as a player by leaving every time this occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point. My roommate and I discuss whether 6-max SSNL actually hurts our development as poker players since we basically are just playing for the nuts. There is very little skill involved, except knowing when to fold or call with an overpair. I agree that if I wanted to grow I should start mixing it up more when I start getting respect. However, right now I am content with just earning $$. After school gets out next week I will probably try and develop as player and move up to the $50s, which I could have done months ago, but chose not to given how well I was playing at the $25s.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 PM

If you want to nut peddle, play full ring. That way you pay the blinds less frequently and you have more people there to make second best hands. 6m should really help your development if you play it without nut peddling because marginal hands become very profitable if you can make accurate reads and go with them.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to nut peddle, play full ring. That way you pay the blinds less frequently and you have more people there to make second best hands. 6m should really help your development if you play it without nut peddling because marginal hands become very profitable if you can make accurate reads and go with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but at the full ring game it's hard to get people to commit their stack with marginal hands. As you make clear, that is the key to 6-max. I abuse people who don't make good reads with their one pair hands. At the full ring, people lay down one pair all the time. I have gotten K high to pay me off for my entire stack when I have had a set in the 6-maxes. I have never seen even A-high call down in the full ring games.

Just look at the average pot-sizes, and you see that 6-max is almost always at the top. B/c stacks change hands faster at the 6-max, this more than makes up for the blinds. Including the blinds I win $ at every position except UTG.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:24 PM

You don't win money UTG?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't win money UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of wierd hands throw off the UTG sample. I believe I got all in for a lot p/f with a monkey who had 96s when I had QQ. I also lost a couple of other hands like that.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM

OK. So probably your winning stats at the other positions are unreliable, too.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK. So probably your winning stats at the other positions are unreliable, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be. 10K hands is not enough to really get an accurate picture of position stats.