Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Overbet Bluff For Review

That hand was way different.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 AM

I have yet to read a single thing from your posts that makes me think my response is anything but spot-on.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 AM

why? you really think as a player your going to notice the different when you got 20 seconds to decide in the next tought overbet spot.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 AM

BTW, what on earth makes you think KKF has played Prahlad a lot HU?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]some hands were posted with kkf and arb hu, but I'd hardly consider it a TON of hu play.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 AM

Just a warning, I suck at poker lately, so if I dunno wtf I'm talking about feel free to set me straight.

On the one hand, I think this is definitely a very nice board to pull this sort of move on. There are all sorts of missed draws you could have that could be bluffing. You could easily have a hand like a flopped set, rivered boat though, and be looking for him to make a strong call.

However, I have a few problems with this play. As far as I see it, if he calls, then sure he knows you can push with crap, but he obviously has to suspect that anyway if he does look you up here, so the metagame aspects are sort of useless, no? On the flipside, if he folds because he suspects you are only pushing with very strong (or nut) hands at the moment, it's going to take a decent amount of overbetting to convince him otherwise, and I feel like if you're going to be bluff pushing (or semi-bluffing if you employ flop/turn overbets), then you may as well do it in bigger pots. This way you at least freeroll a bit before he does call you, although I suppose this might be offset by the fact that in a larger pot he is more likely to have a strong enough hand to call.

edit to clarify a bit:

I think by pushing so much into a pot so small, you make it easy for him to play almost correctly by basically only calling with the nuts, and again, in order for him to consider calling with a significantly wider range, you are going to need to do this often and will definitely lose your stack. So yeah, at least doing it in a larger pot will make it a large enough EV mistake on his part to fold too often before he does decided to call.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why? you really think as a player your going to notice the different when you got 20 seconds to decide in the next tought overbet spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not get to be a winning player at these levels without being able to identify the difference in betting lines, boards, etc. very quickly. There is all sorts of time to analyze how the hand developed and put people on ranges.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]some hands were posted with kkf and arb hu, but I'd hardly consider it a TON of hu play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't asking about him playing arb.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To my knowledge Mahat has played multiple tables at these stakes (approximately) daily for at least two years--he's played a huge amount of hands. I'm sure a lot of this is extremely instinctual for him; he prolly makes his decisions very quickly.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:01 AM

arb isn't mahatma anymore. the people who claimed him to be mahatma have taken back these claims. i believe that more then one person is using this account. i dont believe either of them to be mahatma. so this doesn't have anything to do with arb except that i have a strong read on him.