Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: 100-200 I give up w/QQ fast

I think you played it really well. Most players (including myself sometimes) would pay off on the end. That's probably so few responses.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:13 AM

That's typically how I play it. Not every time cause people will start getting a little interesting with 66 or 88, but vs players I haven't played 8 milion hands with that's my line.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 AM

NH, I pay off on a non king river.

-blake
Old 10-12-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suck but maybe this is why:

I'm shocked that this is "standard" at 100/200.

Personally, I fire again on the turn and fire again on a blank river (check-behind with the K but feel weak-tight about it).

I'm only a 3/6 player with similar stats to villain and play against guys like me all the time, and this is my line. What am I doing wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably nothing. Different plays for different games since you are more likely to get paid off by passively by a hand you beat and you are less likely to face a checkraise (semi)bluff that may push you off a winner. And the check on the turn may be more likely to induce a bluff on the river at the 1/2.

By the way, going back to the original poster: I'm not sure I like that river fold. Isn't it possible that your opponent could have a hand like 88 or 99. Your play thru the river tells him that you have a big pair rather than AK or such. If you don't have KK, then a river bet may well push you off QQ or JJ.
And frankly, the way he played his hand makes me think it's not likely that he holds AK or AQ. Maybe AJ or AT. But just as likely a busted flush draw or pocket pair, in which case you definitely want to call. Getting 5.75 to 1, I think I would've called against a complete unknown.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:06 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I suck but maybe this is why:

I'm shocked that this is "standard" at 100/200.

Personally, I fire again on the turn and fire again on a blank river (check-behind with the K but feel weak-tight about it).

I'm only a 3/6 player with similar stats to villain and play against guys like me all the time, and this is my line. What am I doing wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

when he calls the flop, you either have a higher pair than him or he has an A. if you bet the turn, you get called or checkraised by an A. if he has a smaller pair he'll often just fold his 2 outer, which you don't want. by checking you'll often gain a bet from hands like 99 or TT that should and will fold to a turn bet. but if you check you pick up a bet from him on the river. if you had bet and gotten called by TT you wouldn't have been able to bet the river anyway, so there's no benefit

if you get called on the turn, betting the river would be terrible. this is a tight player who is more likely to have AQ or AJ or ATs than he is to pay you off with TT or 99.