Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: My first time 6-maxing NL600...your river move?

1. you played the hand fine.
2. you can't possibly fold on the end here,there is no other way to play it than a call.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:48 PM

I would check-call the river.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because you assume he has a missed draw?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because you assume he has a missed draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

or a made draw....either way if you want to see showdown, this is the cheapest and most profitable way, no?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying this isn't a good suggestion, but I'm interested into your logic behind it. We have a pretty good hand on the turn that is fairly well disguised, and our opponent has not shown much strength by just calling our smallish bet. The Qd is not a scary card as it doesn't really complete a draw and doesn't make much sense for many two pair hands (except for QJ). If the hand went check check, which I suspect it would a lot of the time you checked that river I would feel like I had lost a lot of value. While this min raise does not look promising, I doubt it happens to us very much. Keeping in mind we still could be ahead (I agree with calling this raise). I just think it's weak tight to check the river and I'd like to here your justification for it.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:21 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I just think it's weak tight to check the river and I'd like to here your justification for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
To induce a bluff from a missed draw while seeing as cheap a showdown as possible the times hero is beat. Obviously. The downside is, also quite obviously, that villain will check behind with every made hand that hero beats. I figure it's read dependent. Obviously [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Results and thoughts...

In retrospect, I didn't like my turn bet. I was trying to bet an amount that a random jack would call, but give incorrect odds to a flush or straight draw. I wish I bet $19 or $20.

I contempted a river check-call, but I felt there would be value in betting and getting called by a J. Inducing a bluff is something I would only do if I was (a) positive my opponent had a busted draw and (b) knew he would bluff at it.

I was getting 153:33 to call, and it's true I was given 4.63:1 odds. However, I *knew* my winning chances was about 10%, if not worse. Mini-raises have nothing but "monster that wants to be called" written all over it, but I still had to call after about a 10 second contempation. Why?

(a) Despite the odds not being there, people still forget that information has value. Seeing your opponents' hands provides data you can use for the future. In short, I wanted to see his damned cards.

(b) Meta-game considerations. If my opponents see that I folded in that spot after what transpired, I might as well put a target on my head that says "mini-raise me with anything, and I'll fold like a weenie". I do not like being a target.

So when I saw the showdown, I expected to be beaten by Qs up. The Q did not complete an open-ended straight as T8 would have already been there on the turn. So T8 was unlikely as it would have played faster either on the flop or certainly the turn.

He turned up K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the double-gutter rivered straight.

Thanks for all your thoughts,

Garland

Edit: Fixed the double-gutter draw as per soah's post.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Results and thoughts...

Double-gutter actually...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:34 AM

Im retarded and thought he had one pair. I insta call =\
Old 06-13-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Results and thoughts...

Why U not betting the river?