Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Tight player, what type of player do i want to left or right of m

I think it's good to have loose, aggressive players on your right so you can act after them. Most of them bet so many hands that it becomes quite profitable to raise after this player has bet. I enjoy isolating these players because I usually have much better hands than they do but they're still willing to call to the river anyway. One of the reasons why a tight player on your left is a good thing is because he gives away so much information by cold-calling a raise that you can fold on the next round if you don't improve significantly.
I'd like to hear what other people think about this topic.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Tight player, what type of player do i want to left or right of me

When you choose where to sit, ideally you want all the action on your right. All the over aggressive betting, loose calling, re-raise battling, whatever in the seats 1-3 to your right. The closer the better. If it's all on your left, you're in for a losing session unless the deck hits you in the face.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 PM

OR it's a nice passive table.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:55 PM

I think you're asking the wrong question. You can't control the players on your left or right. Okay, you can sometimes pick or change a seat, but so can other players and players can switch from tight to loose.

What you can control is what kind of player you are. So the better question is how should you play with the tight players to your left and the aggressive players to your right and vice versa. If all the players are tight, it generally pays to play loose. If all the players are loose, it generally pays to play tight.

I understand the reasoning about wanting to see what the aggressive players do first, but that's playing passive, and passive never wins. The more important point is that you can't influence a loose player much, he'll play the hands he wants to play even if you act strong. If he plays after you, you can be much more straightforward than with a tight player. There's little point in bluffing or slow playing.

If the tight players are following you, the aggressive players may have already done your work for you. They may have bet so much you have an easy fold, or so you can collect big on your monster without raising yourself. If you have to act for yourself, you should be more deceptive than usual. You won't have much chance for deception, and tight players are easy to deceive. Of course, you can't get too predictable, tight doesn't mean stupid.