FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Downswing

[ QUOTE ]
Did I play these hands correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure looks like it.

EDIT: Wow -- 13 minutes. I might owe boz a buck...
Old 09-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I think I am playing the mid pockets a little to aggressive. I look at my stats and those hands are some of my top losers.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 20BB downswing is completely normal. Even 200BB downswings can be normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I needed to hear.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:27 PM

I've had a 40BB loss within 40 minutes. Your 20BB loss in an hour is no big deal, this will happen all the time.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think I am playing the mid pockets a little to aggressive. I look at my stats and those hands are some of my top losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is possible, be wary of your sample size. Individual hand stats mean nothing until you have a huge number of hands.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:35 PM

29 minutes and counting! Yay, me!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 PM

I'd be so bold as to say, if you're not having swings of more than 20BB, then you're not being aggressive enough with your good draws and your hands that need protection. Since reading Ed Miller's ideas, my swings have become more exaggerated since I'm juicing the pot more than I used to in my tight/passive days.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:51 PM

1/2 meaning $40 translates to 20 BB (big bets)

TOTALLY, 100% COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT IN THE LONG TERM.

This isn't a downswing, this isn't even a bad session, this is like 3 bad hands.

If you want to play poker seriously, or hell even for fun then you have to expect that even with near PERFECT play (which I'm assuming you are no where near to, no offense but just honesty) that you will have swings in excess of 100, 150, 200+ BB in your poker life. They will be semi-rare but they WILL happen.

My KK is at about 36% win rate over hte last 40 or so times I've gotten it, and I'm down slightly with it

But my QQ is hot as fire over the last 40, winning like 70% and I'm up huge with it.

Strange stuff happens short term.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Damn, you win. Our sheriff has abandoned us -- the law is dead.

I'll pay you in the form of donking an extra buck your way at the next 2+2 table. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 06:11 PM

You're fine Slim. Just keep playing good cards and play them well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I lost 75BB tonight in about 2 hours (some of this was due to a small tilt session at the end, but even before that I was down 60'ish). Every once in a while you have "That F***ing Night". The night in which some or all of the following happen:

1) Every time you flop TPTK with your AK or AQ someone with A8- pairs their kicker on the turn or river.

2) Every flush and OES draw miss, but not before you call multiple raises in gigantic multi-way pots.

3) Every large pocket pair gets cracked by small connectors or small pocket pairs.

4) Every small pocket pair misses, except one....and when you hit that set it gets flushed out.

ETC.

When this happens I usually go to Poker Tracker and replay my hands to see how much of my losses were in fact bad luck, and how much of my losses were poor play.

Good luck to you!
Closed Thread