Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Players who don\'t show their cards on the river

Players are going to do what players are going to do.

Playing in a 1/2 NL the other day, a player who called my all-in (bitching and moaning about how poor his cards were and he was giving me money but had to 'keep me honest') didn't show his cards.

In this case I was 99+% certain that he's required to show when he called an all-in. I just waited and when he tried to muck, I said to the dealer that I wanted to see his cards. Dealer showed the table (btw, it he was holding middle pair with an A kicker).

Anyway, my point is that if you want to see something or have a question about whether you're entitled, ask the dealer.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The aggressor shows their hand first. Other players either show their hands or muck them in order around the table. If it is checked down all the way, the player closest to the button shows first then other players can show or muck in order around the table. Simple as that

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the theory, and I like it (with one exception: if there was any aggression at any point during the hand, I want that person to show first, regardless of whether or not the river was checked through (this could be a preflop raised if it were checked to the river)).

However, if there's a player who bets the river and hesitates before showing, trying not to, every time he's at the showdown and unsure of his cards, how do you get that guy to show his cards first, without alienating yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

You say, "Show me."
Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The aggressor shows their hand first. Other players either show their hands or muck them in order around the table. If it is checked down all the way, the player closest to the button shows first then other players can show or muck in order around the table. Simple as that

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the theory, and I like it (with one exception: if there was any aggression at any point during the hand, I want that person to show first, regardless of whether or not the river was checked through (this could be a preflop raised if it were checked to the river)).

However, if there's a player who bets the river and hesitates before showing, trying not to, every time he's at the showdown and unsure of his cards, how do you get that guy to show his cards first, without alienating yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

You say, "Show me."

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are a few more, just to mix things up:

- "You bet. You show first."
- "I called you. You show."
- "I think the bettor shows first."
- "You bet. Just turn your cards over, please."
etc.

Don't worry about alienating yourself (just be polite about it). You're there to play poker, not get voted homecoming king.

Tom
Old 06-15-2005, 12:04 PM

I usually just tell the guy to show his cards.

What really annoys me is when I show my hand first and then my opponent holds his cards up and stares at them for 10-15 seconds while shaking his head and dreaming about what might have been before mucking.

That really slows down the game for no reason. You lost the hand, you don't need to grieve, just muck it.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually just tell the guy to show his cards.

What really annoys me is when I show my hand first and then my opponent holds his cards up and stares at them for 10-15 seconds while shaking his head and dreaming about what might have been before mucking.

That really slows down the game for no reason. You lost the hand, you don't need to grieve, just muck it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 30. I'm pretty sure you outdistance me by a couple of years. I for one am relishing the opportunity to do this at regular intervals. Even more when I'm old enough such that the rest of the table expects it just because of my AARP membership. You should too.

<shuffle>
<shuffle>
<scowl>
<muck>
Old 06-15-2005, 12:08 PM

The way I understand it, pretty much everyone in this thread is misunderstanding what the OP is trying to say. This is his problem, how I understand it. He gets annoyed, whether he's in a hand or not, at people who bet the river but sort of pussy foot around (if I may use that 1940s term) when it comes time to showdown. I totally agree. It's annoying, and it slows [censored] down. Even if they eventually show, it's just a pain in the ass to coax them to turn them up... I usually don't give a [censored] about alienating people, so I'll just start gesturing annoyedly and tell them, "C'mon, c'mon, flip 'em over..."

Is this what you're talking about?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:15 PM

I agree, its annoying and unnecessary. I also hate when they finally decide they'll reveal their precious little hand but only flip over one card, then pause and chat and hem and haw (to use another 1940's term) before showing the other. It should be perfectly legal to bitchslap these people.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pet peeve.

I HATE it when people bet the river, and then slow down the game by saying stuff like, "Can you beat a queen?" Etc.

1) I don't like them slowing down the game.
2) When they bet and they're called I think I have "the right" to see it.

How do I discourage my opponents from doing this without alienating myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't rude to the other player, there won't be any problems.

When I call a bet on the river, I sit there silently waiting for my opponent to show or muck. If he starts talking, I'll either say something like "After you, bud" or I'll look at him and just move my finger in a rolling motion. My card protector doesn't move until he has made a decision (There are notable exceptions to this rule, mainly when the other player is awful and I want to remain very friendly with him).

This doesn't do much to speed up the game, but it does maximize your information and make your feelings on the issue pretty well-known.

Justin
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM

I'm reposting from the other thread of the same topic...

The way I understand it, pretty much everyone in this thread is misunderstanding what the OP is trying to say. This is his problem, how I understand it. He gets annoyed, whether he's in a hand or not, at people who bet the river but sort of pussy foot around (if I may use that 1940s term) when it comes time to showdown. I totally agree. It's annoying, and it slows [censored] down. Even if they eventually show, it's just a pain in the ass to coax them to turn them up... I usually don't give a [censored] about alienating people, so I'll just start gesturing annoyedly and tell them, "C'mon, c'mon, flip 'em over..."
Is this what you're talking about?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:26 PM

Wait, whoops... Wrong thread...