Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: All-in vs. blinds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It might make some sense only if you strongly believe that BB will call you here with an inferior hand.

[/ QUOTE ] How inferior can his hand be? Against T9s, you're less than a 3-2 favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, of course, however, in the improbable case when you know your opponent is weak enough to call all-ins with low Kx, Q-high, J-high, T-high, and low-connectors, pushing with KJo might make sense. I'm sure that's not the case here (this rare and beloved kind of fish don't really get to the final-3 in a 33$ SNG) - that's why pushing here is certainly a wrong move.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:41 AM

In this specific example, with the chip positions and blind level given, I would not want to risk my whole stack on a 3-2 shot. Given the right circumstances, I would take the gamble in a heartbeat, but not here.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First point. Just because you missed the flop does not mean he hit it. You showed aggression preflop. If he checks to you, bet the pot and fold to a raise if you're sure he wouldn't raise unless he has you beat. That costs you 900 or so, and you still have a playable stack. However, most of the time, you'll win more than you will by going all-in preflop. By just calling from the button preflop, you open yourself up to being outplayed. Often a good player in the BB will bet the pot on the flop regardless of his cards *or* what flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurn, these are good points you are making, but I think that in our case hero is SB, which means he's first to act on the flop. I agree with your general approach, about raising 3x4BB PF, and trying to take the pot on the flop if called, but David does have a point when he's saying that when trying to steal from SB you have a bad position if called. This is usually not the nicest spot to be in, if you don't hit.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this specific example, with the chip positions and blind level given, I would not want to risk my whole stack on a 3-2 shot. Given the right circumstances, I would take the gamble in a heartbeat, but not here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are right. And there will probably be a better spot to play strong against this very weak opponent.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:54 AM

David does have a point when he's saying that when trying to steal from SB you have a bad position if called. This is usually not the nicest spot to be in, if you don't hit.

You're right, but I'm more concerned about raising from the SB at a full table than I am 3-handed. Regarding just completing, I don't mind that option as long as you usually bet out on the flop.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:58 AM

this very weak opponent.

Exactly. If you believe you're the superior player, there's less reason to take risks.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I need to wait till blinds are at least 100/200 and were down to at least 4 players before I make moves like these. Do you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I do not agree. You should not be making moves like this, for all the reasons that have previously been pointed out.

Suppose you bet 150 instead. Would BB call with 72o? with QTo? With AKs? Go through all the possibilites and you will find that $150 - $200 does the job without putting yourself at risk.

Regards,
Jonathan