Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Believers in God want to have it both ways

[ QUOTE ]
You are still drawing an illogical conclusion from our belief that we know the "rules" God wants us to live by. Understanding those rules does not in anyway imply understanding fully God's infinite nature beyond what He has revealed of it to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, since he is infinite, he has infinite reasons for giving you those rules (assuming he did). Now, many people are still trying to decipher why Elvis did what he did, or writing books about the enigma that is Marilyn Manson. You really think that by following 8 simple rules or whatever, you can conform to an infinite god's wishes?

Maybe he handed down those rules for a good belly laugh. There are infinite reasons for his infinite mind to do what he does (and here I am just accepting that the HE in question exists at all...)
Old 10-29-2005, 12:14 AM

You still are either not, or simply don't wish to, grasping the point that you don't have to fully understand an infinite God to conform to the manner of life He wishes us to live. You only need to understand that He loves us and wishes us to be with Him eternally, although we can choose otherwise.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You still are either not, or simply don't wish to, grasping the point that you don't have to fully understand an infinite God to conform to the manner of life He wishes us to live. You only need to understand that He loves us and wishes us to be with Him eternally, although we can choose otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me try the Socratic method with you...How do you know he loves us and wishes us to be with him eternally?
By the way, any answer you give here aside from "I don't" assumes that you actually KNOW the inner workings of an infinite mind.

g
Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 AM

To know in part because He has revealed that part to us, is not the same at all as saying to know in full. That is the distinction you either don't or refuse to see.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:36 PM

And your problem is you think you know WHY he revealed that part to you. That assumption makes no sense if a being is infinite. Someone of your (or my) intelligence has NO idea why god does what he does. By the way, I am conceding so much to just make this point that it almost loses all meaning. I am conceding that there is a god and that he actually did reveal part of something to you...none of which i am convinced of. However, even with that said, HE is infinite and could have billions of disparate reasons for revealing something.
YOU are the one who claims to know what that means-not I.
I guess my humbleness before the Lord just exceeds yours...
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
g