Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: best guess
Scott Lazar - $3,370,000 (seat 9) 0 0%
Steve Dannenmann - $5,460,000 (seat 8) 0 0%
Brad Kondracki - $1,180,000 (seat 7) 0 0%
Aaron Kanter - $10,700,000 (seat 6) 1 4.17%
Mike Matusow - $7,410,000 (seat 5) 8 33.33%
Daniel Bergsdorf - $5,270,000 (seat 4) 1 4.17%
Tex Barch - $9,330,000 (seat 3) 8 33.33%
Andrew Black - $8,140,000 (seat 2) 5 20.83%
Joseph Hachem - $5,420,000 (seat 1) 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: OT: My 38 game OOTM streak is over

Sucks to hear it, man. Today I opened a hole on my wall by punching it a little bit too hard after a very frustrating run.

Gambling in general has a very bad vibe that can really get under your skin (or at least mine). It's no surprise so many people end up addicted. I have enjoyed times where I was totally shielded against that vibe, running good or not, and I had (and have) to deal with the times where that vibe just kills me.

We all need to deal with that, and for some it's easier than others, but all of us have to deal with it. No wonder there are so many bad beat/bad run posts in the STTF. It's very easy to deal with it when you're riding a heater, but the ability of not letting a bad run affect you too much is what sets apart the men from the boys.

The fresh hole on my wall doesn't let me lie about it: I still get too affected by my results, and I hope one day I'll be able to go through a huge downsizing without losing it. An OOTM streak like yours would drive me absolutely insane. I'd start playing really badly after something like. You might be doing just that right now.

Not only that, you're taking a big decision after riding a huge cooler. Give it some time. Give it at least a week before thinking it over again. Take some distance from it all. *Then* you can make a decision.

Until then, go watch all the movies you missed, go out, see people, get stoned, whatever...

These are my .02. I hope they'll be useful in some way to you.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll be back. Winning players always come back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2005, 06:28 AM

GG NO RE I guess.

Sorry dude, but you'll be back [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 06:46 AM

speaking of stats, my number of 1sts and 3rds is exactly the same after over 3400 sngs
Old 11-13-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
speaking of stats, my number of 1sts and 3rds is exactly the same after over 3400 sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is both very relevant and a great contribution to the thread.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:59 AM

Sad to see you go, but perhaps you aren't suited for poker. You should realistically be a winning player by now but when you aren't, giving up poker might be the best option. Of course you might be a winning player thats on a super cooler, but that is almost worse since it is hard to take bad luck piling on bad luck.

If you ever decide to get back into poker, feel free to send me some tourney summaries and I'll go through them and see if I can offer some advice.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for perg, but it's likely that the problem is that he doesn't feel like he's a winning player anymore.

I've watched Pat play a ton of sngs and talk with him daily about hands, life, poker in general, etc. I can say without question that when he's on his game, he's easily one of the better players in the 800 chip games and is probably a favorite in the 55s. As for how he's playing now, I can't really say. But I can promise you that he's not going into each sng expecting to win, or even anything close to that. Losing has a way of poisoning the mind like that. Very few, if any, are immune to it.

It saddens me to see Pat struggle, because he's a good player and a good friend.

As Mike Matusow commented last year, "Kids, don't grow up to be poker players. It's the sickest thing any human being can do to themselves."
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for perg, but it's likely that the problem is that he doesn't feel like he's a winning player anymore.

I've watched Pat play a ton of sngs and talk with him daily about hands, life, poker in general, etc. I can say without question that when he's on his game, he's easily one of the better players in the 800 chip games and is probably a favorite in the 55s. As for how he's playing now, I can't really say. But I can promise you that he's not going into each sng expecting to win, or even anything close to that. Losing has a way of poisoning the mind like that. Very few, if any, are immune to it.

It saddens me to see Pat struggle, because he's a good player and a good friend.

As Mike Matusow commented last year, "Kids, don't grow up to be poker players. It's the sickest thing any human being can do to themselves."

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you are saying but I didn't just pull that out of my butt. I've seen 5 full HHs of perg's and they made me feel confident that he's a winning player. So though he may not feel like a winning player right now...he is. A 38 OOTM streak will wreak havoc on anyone's confidence, so I understand wanting to take a break. And I suppose if the emotional stress overshadows the profits, I understand quitting as well. But if he does decide to come back, he will make money.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:50 AM

This Post makes Baby Jesus cry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 08:59 AM

I said the same thing after having a -150BB day, and I was playing again within 24 hours..