Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: ($55) Aces full - a hand you don\'t see everyday

You have to reraise.

If he pushes, you can re-evaluate, however, he is not making the raise with an ace, he will slowplay that. He most likely has something along the lines of KQ. I wouldnt even push on the turn, but maybe thats a leak.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:23 PM

For the record, I would've check-folded the flop, but I'd like to state that I see where bluefeet is coming from with the raise that he made. Everyone has a different playing style and I have to emphasize that this does not fall in line with the one I foster (please respect that).

runner4life7, I appreciate that you criticized my input but remember, we have to consider the following factors:
1. the likelihood of us cashing when we check-fold the flop.
2. the likelihood of us cashing when we double up on the first hand.
3. the likelihood of us busting to the case A, JJ+, or suckout (greater than you think).

IMO, #2 is great but not SO MUCH greater than #1 that we should get all our money in and risk a 10th place finish (when #3 happens). Feel free to disagree, but I'm just presenting an alternate way of playing that also yields long-term success with less volatility.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 PM

i find it interesting that everyone automaically assumes that the raise means no ace.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:40 PM

If villian was that smart, he wouldn't be in the 55s. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian was that smart, he wouldn't be in the 55s. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]but it's really not that smart of a play. as noted in the mentality of this thread, nobody is willing to give credit for the case ace.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:20 PM

he definitely could have the ace, but im just saying more often then not I think we have him beat.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i find it interesting that everyone automaically assumes that the raise means no ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason most villains here aren't raising the ace is that they're afraid of losing K-high and low-paired opponents. Think about it, you're slowplaying this every single time you get it...seeing how much more villain will commit on his own, hoping that villain catches a card to fill up if he's not already paired.

I would think raising this ace would take an opponent who a) is better than to be playing the 55's, and b) that opponent knowing that Hero is a thinking player.

Those two conditions seem highly unlikely to be met on the first hand of a 55.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason most villains here aren't raising the ace is that they're afraid of losing K-high and low-paired opponents. Think about it, you're slowplaying this every single time you get it...seeing how much more villain will commit on his own, hoping that villain catches a card to fill up if he's not already paired.

I would think raising this ace would take an opponent who a) is better than to be playing the 55's, and b) that opponent knowing that Hero is a thinking player.

Those two conditions seem highly unlikely to be met on the first hand of a 55.

[/ QUOTE ]i'll agree that most villains won't, but i don't think you should automatically discredit it.

edit: if you feel that people at the 55s are that bad then low pairs would likely stack off.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's either push or fold *edit* or reraising is good too. Calling sucks because:
1. This is NL and we're OOP.
2. There's no card that will help us improve on 4th street.
3. It gives a hand like KQ good value.

Pushing IMO is bad without any reads (which seems apparent, as it's the first hand) because no donk at the 55 level will call with a dominated hand like 33, but will call with a dominating hand like Ax/JJ+.

In conclusion: Save your chips for a better spot. Before reading Gigabet's posts I probably would have reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is absurd
Old 10-31-2005, 11:04 PM

1. We know where 3 aces are.
2. Fastplaying aces doesn't require a smart opponent here, it requires a psychic one. Fastplaying will get the most money out of TT, but there was no PFR. How can the ace put anyone on a hand as good as TT?

So of the tiny percentage of time villian has the case ace he won't slowplay a tiny percentage of the time. Thus, safely discredited.