Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: First Hand Post....AKo utg+1

[ QUOTE ]
You should've raised the turn, but why didn't you raise that river?

[/ QUOTE ]

With so many people in the hand, I thought someone could be slowplaying a set or a straight....with hindsight I don't think a raise on the river has +EV in this particular hand, but not knowing the cards of the other players, is a raise appropriate in this situation? What if I get 3-bet?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should've raised the turn, but why didn't you raise that river?

[/ QUOTE ]

With so many people in the hand, I thought someone could be slowplaying a set or a straight....with hindsight I don't think a raise on the river has +EV in this particular hand, but not knowing the cards of the other players, is a raise appropriate in this situation? What if I get 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well by the river it seems you obviouly have the BB beat, and the CO seems to be drawing because he hasn't done anything but call, and usually people who slowplay sets or straights raise the turn. I think BB is going to call a raise here a lot, especially after his donkbet on the turn, so I think raising is better than going for overcalls.

Getting 3-bet here sucks, but I guess it depends on who 3-bets to figure out if you should fold.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well by the river it seems you obviouly have the BB beat, and the CO seems to be drawing because he hasn't done anything but call, and usually people who slowplay sets or straights raise the turn . I think BB is going to call a raise here a lot, especially after his donkbet on the turn, so I think raising is better than going for overcalls.

Getting 3-bet here sucks, but I guess it depends on who 3-bets to figure out if you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points shant....I did have the feeling that I wasn't being agressive enough during the hand, and certainly felt that way after, but wasn't sure if it was just hindsight messing with my head.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM

FYI - It's a very common play at 2/4 to stop'n'go the turn with TPWK. In fact very rarely do I see this play made with a better hand than just top pair - the majority of 2/4 players try to check/raise the turn (some even wait until the river) with hand like flopped sets and straights.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 AM

I agree, crunchy. It's only the players with an AF of .6 or below that you have to worry about. And it's pretty clear when those players donk the turn that they're saying "I have two pair or better." This one didn't really look like it, so I raise the turn and raise the river. Worrying about a set is MUTB at this point, and keep in mind if you're 3-bet on the river it's occasionally a worse two-pair and you should pay it off.