Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: The holdem-ization of 1-2 Party stud

i think you might be overestimating the players at 1/2 and 3/6- it's rare that i ever see what i would consider a 'solid' player at either of those levels- most of the relitivly good players are weak-tight, and what you have been observing may just be tighter play- pots are rarely jammed, third is still rarely raised, etc...

of course, there are a few 2+2ers there- but that may be due to the current reload bonus. i've been playing a little 1/2 to clear the bonus, and i know that there are some people from bonuswhores that play 1/2 as well.

and i don't know how you play on such a short bankroll. i like to have 300bb for whatever limit i'm playing.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:18 PM

Well, I've seen some decent players at both 1-2 and 3-6. At 1-2 it's been striking to me to see some opponents adjusting their play to opponents, pot sizes, boards and the like.

btw, the money I have at Party is not my b/r -- I'm rolled for 300bbs at 10/20. I don't withdraw from my b/r for living expenses, it's strictly poker money. Just was pissed about losing, so decided to see if I could play my way back up.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I've seen some decent players at both 1-2 and 3-6. At 1-2 it's been striking to me to see some opponents adjusting their play to opponents, pot sizes, boards and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

these kind of things make them halfway-competent, imo, not 'solid' by a long shot. how much of this do you think is due to bonus chasers using stud to clear their reloads? how many of them do you think are 2+2ers? i'd estimate that there are between one and two dozen 2+2ers playing low limit stud on party.

[ QUOTE ]
btw, the money I have at Party is not my b/r -- I'm rolled for 300bbs at 10/20. I don't withdraw from my b/r for living expenses, it's strictly poker money. Just was pissed about losing, so decided to see if I could play my way back up.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh... good.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:44 PM

Overall, the stud games are good, I have probably only played 50 or 60 hands of 1/2. So, I can't really comment on those.

However the higher limit games can be extremely fishy at times, and at other times, they can be rather tough..

You can see tables at 10/20 with Percy, redboy, dolphin5, gratefuloneb, roland, etc. type lineups.. This is when its important to PAY ATTENTION TO THE TABLE YOU'RE at.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:13 PM

Hi,
I was advised to ask for some help from you in the 1-3 game at Foxwoods. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been getting burned the last four months there and I play a TAG (Roy West and Sklansky) Thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM

First a little tough love: As I said to lstream back when he was complaining about not being able to beat 1-2 on party, if you can't beat this game, you've got some serious holes in your strategy.

I've only played the 1-3 at Foxwoods once with the .50 ante -- CJ and I had a LAG fest and both finished up about 15bb in an hour or so (which proves exactly nothing).

Now a little advice: This game has a groteseque overante. When I played, most players had not adjusted to the fact that every hand starts with 1.66bb in the pot! Compare that to the 5-10 structure, with the SAME ante and a $2 bring in -- there you start with .6bb in the pot.

This is a sick, distorted structure. When I played, many players didn't compensate enough for the overante -- They played way too tight and still gave too much respect to a $3 raise on third or fourth and would often fold getting 2.5-1 or better. So after a few players folded, I'd be raising any live pair, three high cards etc. CJ and I had a couple of raising wars when we both tried to do this. Basically, alot of folks still play as if it's the old 1-3, with no ante.

On the other hand, some players adjust by being ridiculously loose. If you're at a table with a few of these folks, where they will not fold, you'll want to be TAG, as you say you are. Pound your big pairs and strong draws as they will call with crap. If they are also passive, you'll still want to come in with alot of hands -- any pair, str8 draws down to 89T, any flush draw even with 3 dead for a limp, etc. You need to balance starting with an edge against the effect of the ante.

Part of that is making the distinction between players who will fold too easily and those who will call too loosely and adjusting your play accordingly.

Finally, the pots can get large compared to the bet size pretty fast in this game. If you call or bet on fifth, it should be relatively rare for you to fold on sixth or the river (unless you miss a draw on the end). Even with one pair unimproved, it's often worth calling when there are 5 bets or more in the pot.

In low stud, making "good" folds on the river against bad opponents can be a costly mistake.

btw, Roy West's book is excellent IMHO but will have you playing way too tight and giving opponents way too much credit in this game.

I will be at Fox Saturday, 6/25 from about 5 to about 1. CJ and I may do an hour of 1-3 again, and you'd be very welcome to join.

Good luck -- and post some hands, that's a great way to learn.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said to lstream back when he was complaining about not being able to beat 1-2 on party

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think I was whining about 3/6, but point taken.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:47 AM

hmm, thought I remembered last fall you posting about having trouble at 1-2 and I actually offered to sit at a table with you.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 PM

I had dropped down to 1/2 after having a poor run at 3/6. I remember the offer though, and much appreciated the gesture. The drop to 1/2 worked well as a way to relax and concentrate on re-learning proper play without being too expensive. My bad run of cards at 3/6 had been compounded with some bad habits that crept into my play. The 1/2 tables I played at usually were pretty passive, so I had to loosen up in order to avoid getting drained by the ante.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:37 PM

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1), Ante $0.25 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (4.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

Total pot: (4.00 SB)

This has been happening more and more lately on party .5/1

It makes me wonder if I should limp in with three connecting wheel cards.