Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: 20-40...Would You Ever Check This River?

Here's how I see it. I will admit that a hole in my game is when I read hands I often ask myself, "Would I have possibly played (whatever range of hands I put my opponent) on that way?" and then if there is no way I would, I will eliminate that possibility. So, sometimes I compromise logic in favor of, well, a different kind of logic, which is very narrow (uh oh, I am starting to sound like Elysium). Usually, when I give people too much action as a result of this, they usually left a ton of money on the table earlier in the hand, and then I don't sweat it that much. If he has you beat, he misplayed his hand and got fancy somewhere, so reward him with an extra bet and feel good about the theoretical money you saved.

Jeff, I am taking you off JTo after three limpers. Please read hpfap and top 4 times fast, count to ten, and then forget all about JTo after 3 limpers. . .
Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 PM

Usually, when I give people too much action as a result of this, they usually left a ton of money on the table earlier in the hand, and then I don't sweat it that much.

Exactly.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:13 PM

Default OK when DO you play it?

1/2 of the replies to this post said fold preflop, the other 1/2 said it was ok to limp after 3 callers....for those who fold it, how many limpers do you need ahead of you at the CO before you limp? Do you have statistical reasons for not limping or do you just think its too weak a hand without a family pot in front of you? for those who limp, are 2 limpers ahead of you not enough?
Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: OK when DO you play it?

I think its fine to limp in with offsuit broadway trash vs many limpers from the cutoff or button if the remaining players to act are not super aggressive.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Thoughts about the preflop call....

I honestly don't see what all this debate is about in terms of the preflop call. After 3 limpers, I feel like it's a no brainer. It seems pretty likely I'm gonna get a multiway pot for one bet...I don't have a read the button will raise. It's just one of those things. I think it's break even at worst and maybe slightly profitable overall. Providing you don't get out of line postflop and play the hand well taking into account all factors. I don't think a preflop debate on this hand is worthwhile. Most people who play midlimits on here know what the "book" says in these spots. The money at midlimits is made in postflop play in my humble opinion (obviously you will lose if u play trash or coldcall raises with hands who don't warrant it...but one bet after a few limpers with J10...come on here). I am really interested in flop, turn, river logic, but as always...I appreciate all thoughts.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about the preflop call....

Jeff,

I was just curious since the preflop call was split so evenly with the replies.....I think a river bet is warranted for the simple fact that there are so many losers you will get called with in comparison to the few hands that are likely and will beat you. If you were outdrawn then [censored] happens but I think you miss bets by checking.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:42 PM

Didn't mean to imply I was replying to you only...replying about the preflop discussion in general [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I did in fact bet the river, just trying to make sure I wasn't going insane when I was rolling it around in my head on the ride back. Turned out to be a good weekend down there so I can't complain.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2004, 10:28 PM

I bet the river and put my opponent on AQ or KQ.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I'd bet the river and call a raise.

overall, i like how you played the hand. Even with the limp preflop.

b
Old 03-10-2004, 01:35 AM

Hi Jeff

I would not play JTo if any of the limpers was a tight player. If all the limpers were loose players (more likely at the Taj 10-20 then the 20-40 except on sat nights), I may play it.

If played I would usually want to bet the river. BB could have a range of hands such as two pair (not counting the pair on board) that he may pay off and the guy behind may call with his AQ.