Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 PM

Default misread the river......check it down

Sorry just noticed the river paired.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: A QTo Hand

[ QUOTE ]
1) fold pre flop, QTo is a losing hand in the long run
2) raise the flop. Who's betting here? I would put MP on KQo, or QJo, they will call to the river. BB is probably on a draw (J9), maybe AT or KT
3) K hurts, now you are behind AJ, J9, KQ, KT. If you had bet the flop you could have knocked out the BB, and had a better read on MP. I call here a bet, check it through
4) Following my logic above, if it's checked through on the turn, and checked to me on the river, I bet, if I'm bet into I call. With your play, I check it throuh as now any King beats me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play QTo here for reasons stated above...
I don't put him on KQ on the flop. QJ seems more reasonable.

You would recommend checking the turn through because, what, a J9 and AJ and KQ and KT beat me? I don't give anyone more credit except a single top pair here. Ever. Especially in an unraised pot. Unless I'm 3-bet. I bet if checked to me and I raise if bet into me. No question, no doubt.

I don't know where you're used to playing but I can tell you that Party 3/6 is a different animal. Even if it were not so, it is sheer madness to recommend that I check this turn through.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:38 PM

Flop play.

Is this one of those situations where betting/raising wont protect your hand? Obviously, the one hand that you wouldnt really get out if KJ, but not knowing that, why wouldnt you do something to win this pot? This board is somewhat coordinated, and someone is bound to have some sort of backdoor draw, and is probably going to call with it no matter what. So why not start charging them now?

peace

john nickle
Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 PM

Regarding my flop play...I just called here due to my position relative to the original flop bettor. Pot isn't big, I have top two pair, and I wanted to give those drawing thin a chance to make a loose call - what they do best. On the turn, I expected the flop bettor to bet into me again and then I could raise, probably knocking out everyone else or making them call two cold either of which is fine.

As it turned out, the turn card wasn't a terribly safe one (but still nonetheless OK), and someone ELSE bet out. At that point, my raise is really more for value than to protect my hand. No single straight draws are folding, no K is folding, and probably no middle or bottom pair is folding.

It would've sucked if someone beat me on the river with a runner-runner straight that they would have folded on the flop for two small bets, but I was willing to take that rather small risk to win a bigger pot. Instead, I ended up saving a SB by calling flop+raising turn+checking river, as opposed to raising flop+betting turn and river.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:15 PM

Or maybe I'm too loose.

I play it the same.

If the button is prone to raising I would muck it.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:47 PM

Default I also misread the river (checking is fine) (n/m)

n/m
Old 08-09-2004, 09:53 PM

Nice hand. Well played on every street. I might wait till the river to raise as a change up from time to time.

- Jim
Old 08-10-2004, 12:05 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Preflop: Fine.

Flop: Raise Zone cards, make the gutshots pay if they want to see this turn.

Turn: Actually easier to play if you'd have raised the flop.

River: Good job noticing you may have been counterfeited.

b